Sunday, January 31, 2010

!!!*S*N*O*W*!!!
Yes, it's the first snowfall I've experienced this year--left for California just before the big one in December. Not sure, but we may have gotten about 2 to 3 inches.
Yesterday, did various and sundry chores and continued on my great project of clean-up, clear-out. I'm putting the discards (but relatively good stuff) on the dining room table and will later decide whether to take it to the thrift store or save it for the flea market we're supposed to have in May.
Guess I'll skip our walk this morning. Susan and I are both bitter-enders, but I'm leery about slippery-ness. Think I'll stay in.
Later: Susan knocked shortly after I finished the above and we walked after all. Glad we did; it's powdery snow, easy to negotiate, and it was very pretty.
WIDER: A headline from the Daily Telegraph (UK) via Common Dreams.Org:
Thousands Protest in Tokyo Against U.S. Military Presence in Japan
the article goes on to say that the protest was aimed at the 47,000 U.S. troops stationed in Japan--WHAT?!? Forty-seven THOUSAND? That's alotta troops. I tried in vain to find the story in the NYTimes today, but there isn't any. There is, however, an editorial advising both sides to compromise. In its typical complacent way, the paper doesn't, of course, examine why there should be even one hired killer in a foreign country. After all, there are 700 U.S. bases around the world and it's in the natural order of things for us to be there, whether the citizens of the country like it or not.
I hate to tell the Japanese, but thousands protested the Iraqi invasion and they can see where that got us.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...