Friday, January 01, 2010

First day of the new year and the new decade--guess I should feel all philosophical and melancholy and wistful or something, but I don't and the hell with that stuff.
Spent a quiet, but pleasant day. Ellen slept late and I went for a walk. Later, we stopped at a stand and bought lots of vegetables and fruit right from the grower. Only a few minutes from Ellen's home are fields planted with spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, and a multitude of other goodies, not to mention the dozens of orchards with oranges, lemons, limes,and avocados--what a bonanza. When we got home, I made a big salad and cooked spaghetti squash which, along with Ellen's wonderful lentil soup, we had for dinner.
We rented movies and spent the evening watching the futuristic "District 9." Really, really lousy and non-engaging. Also rented "Steel Magnolias," as I want to start studying the parts I'm going to back up, but we haven't looked at it yet.
P. and N. called on Skype to wish us happy new year. I noticed that lots of people wrote on Facebook they hadn't had a good 2009 and they hope 2010 will be better. Well, of course, I feel the same way for obvious reasons. For now, though, I'm doing all right.
(Darn! I wasn't going to comment on the old or new year or the turn of the decade, or whatever! Can't believe that two minutes later, I did....)
The big news: We're planning to pack a picnic lunch and go to Ojai today.
WIDER: If you never read anything else about the 2000s, read this by Robert Freeman, published today in CommonDreams.com:
http://www.commondreams.org/view/2010/01/01-0

No comments:

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...