Friday, January 22, 2010

Still slogging through my clean-up, clear-up campaign, I finished the drawers and cabinets in the master bath. Went to The Home Depot and got a new step stool, plus six containers for when I tackle the study closet.
Stopped over next door to see Barb D. and offer my condolences on the death of her cousin in Houston. He took his own life at the age of 71. She's an only child and her aunts, uncles, and cousins mean a lot to her. (And how odd only-childhood seems to this fortunate member of an eight-person immediate family and huge extended one.) We had a nice chat over coffee, though.
Other than that, nothing much went on.
Wider: the decision of the Supreme Court to allow unlimited campaign "contributions" (read "bribes" or "pay for service") to candidates just seems to put the lid on the whole "democracy" thing. We are owned by corporate America and it might as well be blatant. Reading The NYTimes on line this morning, I clicked on a video of Steve Jobs unveiling Apples's new super-thin laptop. First, I had to see an ad, this involuntary viewing instituted by the Times a year or so ago, then a reporter introduced the spot and conducted a short interview with Jobs. I was annoyed that a good eighth or so of the bottom of the screen was covered by three banners proclaiming that the piece was from CNBC, then something else, then an out-and-out OTHER ad, containing something like "First In News." This prevented the viewer from seeing the bottom of the new laptop, which Jobs was holding. Annoying--but then it occurred to me that, in truth, the whole piece was an ad--for the new Apple laptop.
It seems impossible to get away from the shills, what with television now in supermarkets and other stores, doctors' offices, and every other venue. As time goes on, they get more and more sophisticated, more and more intrusive, and more and more universal. How long will it be before our home sets will stay on, so the central government can monitor us at all times?

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...