Saturday, January 30, 2010

Finally, at long last, I think I've plowed through the last of the paper in the study closet. Went to the bank and rooted inconsequential items out of the safety deposit box, so could then cram in the rest. Won't need a larger box after all.
Tried on a few things at Kohl's and bought a sweater with the gift card Mike and Paula gave me for Christmas.
Speaking of Mikey, was happy to get a Skype call from him last night. Saw the little sweethearts, Vivian rushing to show me several pair of new shoes, for her, Violet, and Daddy. I was amazed to learn Violet, at 18 months, is already putting words together: "My shoes," "let's go," "I'm done." Vivian showed me her book and Violet tried to grab it, saying "book, book!" Mike was planning to take them to the zoo, along with Vivian's little friend. They leave for holiday in Malaysia next week.
WIDER: Jonathan Swartz,in his "A Tiny Revolution," mentions this quote from Howard Zinn:
"The events of my life, growing up poor, working in a shipyard, being in a war, had nurtured an indignation against the bullies of the world, who used wealth or military might or social status to keep others down."
Jon adds, "That's not a manifesto about democracy, freedom, the means of production blah blah blah. It's just a simple perspective that anyone can understand: bullies are bad. I agree, and I think that's pretty much all there is to say about politics and life. Bullies are bad, from the ones who make fun of the smelly kid in third grade to the ones who douse mideast villages with white phosphorus. People of the world unite: you have nothing to lose but all those bullies."
Yes, that says it all.

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...