Friday, January 15, 2010

Ran a lot of errands early in the day and just more or less lazed around later. Attended the "Magnolias" rehearsal in the evening. It was good to be back with the acting group, and I was greeted warmly, but GEE, I wish I had been here to audition. I know I could have nailed the part of Claree. As it is, I'm understudying two parts and will help out as needed.
Leslie asked if I'd help at the Food Pantry on Monday morning, which I'll be glad to do.
Am thrilled and overjoyed that the peppermint oil continues to repel my little (ugh!) unwanted furry guests--again, no sign of mice in the house.
WIDER: According to the NYTimes, O. has pledged $100 million to help the people of Haiti. I've always been lousy at math, so I don't know how to figure out what percentage of the proposed 2010 "defense" budget this is, but a comparison looks like this:
$100 MILLION VERSUS $663.8 BILLION (I got that amount right off the DOD web site.)
Of course, the proposed "defense" budget includes necessities for slaughter, such as the "50 (new) Predator-class unmanned aerial orbits by 2011...," which have been "in high demand in Iraq and Afghanistan, and will now be permanently funded...."
O. did say that initial aid would be followed by more--we'll have to see just how committed he is to that. The article in The Times also noted that
"The moves put an American stamp on the global relief effort. American forces on Thursday secured the airport in Port-au-Prince and started an airlift of medicine, water and other needed items...." So, yeah, it's all about the United States, I guess.
Further supporting what seems to be the universal government belief that somebody died and left us boss, Secretary of State Clinton said, "The United States is providing a lot of the glue that is keeping people communicating and working together as we try to assert authority, reinstate the government and begin to do what governments have to do to rebuild and reconstruct this damaged country,”
Geez, could self-aggrandizement be any more to the fore? In the meantime, thousands--or, I hope, millions--of ordinary citizens are donating to Oxfam, Doctors Without Borders, and (my choice for no particular reason), Partners In Health.
We don't think it's about us at all.

1 comment:

DPirate said...

100M / 663800M = 1.5065e-4 * 100 = 0.015%. So we could help Haiti about 6640 times for the price of our defense budget. Or we could bomb them...

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...