Thursday, June 18, 2009

Zipped down to Manahawkin early for various errands. Bought four more hostas, which I'll plant today, late though it is. Washed Pat's hair and other areas. Other than that, did a mountain of wash and continued to work on the script I'm writing for a possible upcoming murder mystery for the theatre company. We meet tonight at Mary Ellen's house in Barnegat Light. I have no idea if anyone will like this one, but it could at least act as a jumping-off point for discussion and shaping another one. Actually, I think it's as good or better than the one we did at Cranberry Creek and the Surf City Hotel, but we'll see.
Also on the show biz subject, I got a message that there'll be a meeting on the 25th for those who want to be on the production crew for Hedda Gabler. It includes aspiring performers, too, so I'll attend.
Wider: Am I paranoid or what? I'm getting more and more alarmed at what seems to be ever-closer alliances between the government and private business. The banking and auto industries are most prominent, but what about others that slip into everyday life with little notice? I wrote about "InfraGard" (sounds like a dry-cleaning substance) a while ago, but here's a reminder:
"At its most basic level, InfraGard is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the private sector...an association of businesses, academic institutions, state and local law enforcement agencies, and other participants dedicated to sharing information and intelligence to prevent hostile acts against the United States." Here's the link: http://www.infragard.net/ for that particular Orwellian setup.
Then yesterday, I was at the post office and my eye fell on a change of address packet. What's disturbing are the ads and coupons enclosed for Lowe's, Budget Rent-A-Car, Direct TV, Chase Warner, and several other purely profit-making corporations.
True, in a world of drone bombers and Rush Lumbaugh, this may be piddling stuff. Maybe I'm the only one on the eastern seaboard who cares that we're indirectly subsidizing the enrichment of nameless, faceless shareholders with our tax money. I often rant about the constant presence of blaring televisions everywhere I go, but at least the players are--I think--all in the corporate world.
This is different. This is government in bed with commerce and we're the cuckolds.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good on you for revisiting InfraGard, Mimi.

Where in NJ are you? I went to law school at Seton Hall and clerked in Union County for Judge Jack Boyle, then worked for a firm in Florham Park... this was all 10-20 years ago.

Mimi said...

I live in southern Ocean County, in a very small town south of Toms River. If you send me your e-mail address, I'll be more specific. Was born and brought up in Ventnor, next to Atlantic City, then lived in Ewing, Mercer County, for years, so am a Jersey girl born and bred.

Jim Wetzel said...

You're so right, Mimi. It's amazing how it has nothing to do with ideology at all. It's just a matter of corporate/institutional status. We are just so, so, SOOOOO screwed.

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...