Friday, June 19, 2009

Wow-ee, I didn't get home until a few minutes before midnight! Drove through torrents of rain to get to Mary Ellen's, who lives all the way at the end of Long Beach Island in Barnegat Light. Tara, Andrea, Barbara H., and I went over the script I'm writing and also started working up one about the Jersey Devil. I'll continue mine (have only the first act written) and we may use it sometime. We spent about half the time talking about personal matters--fun, especially hearing about Barbara's upcoming date with a new man in her life--but it made for a long night.
Looking forward to next Thursday when we meet for the first time to discuss the November staging of Hedda Gabler.
Wider: I just unsubscribed from MoveOn.org. It finally dawned on me that the organization is simply an arm of the democratic party. They were ever so vehement against our illegal and immoral wars when Bush was in; now that Obama is, they're perfectly okay with slaughtering people in other countries. I'm so disgusted with the so-called "anti-war moverment" that I'm beginning to actually believe there was some kind of back-room agreement between the two parties to trade off: "Okay, the public is getting tired of Bush, so we'll let the dems in this time and just continue our aggression, so we can enrich our corporate sponsors as usual. No problem with the electorate--even in the face of clear and constant evidence to the contrary, they'll believe anything O. tells them. After all, he's young, attractive, and he didn't come from Texas."

2 comments:

cemmcs said...

I liked MoveOn when they were attacking Bush. I contributed money to help Ned Lamont's campaign against Lieberman via MoveOn but I abandoned them soon thereafter. I think you should use an organization like that while they are useful or seem to be doing sdomething you like but as soon as that stops being the case, drop 'em.

Mimi said...

I certainly agree, but I'm curious about outfits like MoveOn. Do they, in truth, have hidden supporters and sponsors or is that idea just the old paranoia in me? I also wonder if they've lost a substantial portion of their members since it's starting to dawn on people--I hope!--tht they're anything but "anti-war."

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...