Thursday, November 15, 2018

DMV, AirBnB, and Happy Hour Harpies

Happy day--I walked Kimball for the first time in weeks. Saw my park pals, Irene and Diane, who gave me big hugs and wanted to know the saga of my license loss and regaining. Carolyn and Bob also came up, with Hazel (woof), of course, and it was great to be back.
After breakfast, I took a load of clothes to the laundry place, added things I'll probably never need to my suitcase, and did all the other chores you have to in order to prepare for a trip. I called the Access van and made arrangements for it to take me to the Sheraton to get the shuttle.
Suzanne had left me a note asking that I let her have the DMV book, as she has to be re-tested. However, I had thrown it away, so I drove (drove!) over to get another one. I was surprised to see a table with material from Jehovah's Witnesses next to the entrance.  I asked a manager about it. She explained that it's legal; any group, religious or otherwise, can ask for a permit to display their information and allow people to receive it. The stipulation is that they can't solicit or ask people to take a pamphlet. I was absolutely floored. The building and grounds are certainly maintained by taxpayer money and I thought we had a separation of church and state. Unbelievable and I wonder if they allow this in Jersey. Think I'll look into it.
I called the AirBnB in Jackson, and spoke to the woman where I'll be staying. She was very nice, but I wouldn't care is she was Typhoid Mary, since she told me there's a coffee maker in my room.
Got to Cafe Fiore and met up with the Happy Hour Harpies (only kidding!), Diane, Nancy, and Carolyn, and we had our usual good time. The cheese platter is great there and so is the Stone ale, of which I partook. It was dark before I got home (on the bus, of course), although it was only 6:00.
Called Ellen to say goodbye and we had a nice chat. I'll miss her, but I'll love being with my other girl and her boys.

No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...