Monday, July 04, 2022

Sunday With Stella, George, And Violet

The crossword puzzle was so-so, but I did most. After breakfast, I walked to Smart 'n' Final for broccoli and squash, then next door to The Dollar Tree (now the dollar twenty-five tree) when Stella called. She asked where I was and did I want to go to lunch and yes, sure, don't I always? Stella met me at Ace Hardware, where I was going to have an extra key made except they don't make keys. We then drove to small shopping center in east Ventura where she met up with her painter to give him a check.  

There's a restaurant there and I remember Ellen and I going to it maybe twenty-five years ago, long before I moved to California. Stella suggested we eat there and I somewhat reluctantly agreed. It was very crowded and pretty noisy, but oh, well. This place is known for its breakfasts and I'm sure they're  good, but it was now 1:00 and I wanted lunch. As it turned out, nothing appealed to me except clam chowder, so I just had that. Stella had a mega-dish of fried egg, hash browns, and four syrup-covered slices of thick bread toast. She insisted I take one and, although I usually avoid sugar, I did and boy,  it was yummy. She chatted away and I heard maybe half of what she said, as the place was noisy and she speaks very softly.  However, it was pretty enjoyable.

S. dropped me off about 2:30. Put my produce away and was about to bus to town when I remembered my jeans are loose around the waist. Well, I have plenty of belts, although I hardly ever wear one--but where were they? I looked everywhere I could think of and finally found them after an hour, neatly rolled in a drawer. By that time, it was almost 4:00 and I didn't feel like going so late, so I didn't.

Called Ellen and was delighted to hear she has sold her huge washer and dryer (they had come with her house), although it was a chore for the new owners to unhook the water conveyer and get them out. She bought stackable ones, but they can't be delivered for two weeks. I can't wait to see her laundry room without the gigantic old ones. El will be over at noon today to bring my futon and other items in preparation for my company, who fly in on Saturday. We'll then go to Oxnard, where we'll lunch and stop in to see Greg at The Collection.

My friend, Pat, and I had emailed about family resemblances. Here's the picture of my grandfather, George Figenshu, when he was young. I think my brother, Frank (when he was young, too), looked very much like him, aside from the fair coloring.

As long as I'm in picture mode, here's one of George's great-great-daughter, Violet, Mike's girl, who will be 14 next week. I can't believe I looked like that when I was 14--no such luck!
I think she's a Byrne, too, although she's one quarter Japanese. 

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...