Sunday, May 04, 2014

Downton Abbey And Dominoes

FAB-U-LOUS!  That's what the Downton Abby presentation was at the library.
Leslie, Barbara, and I walked in and saw that the meeting room was set up with tea party tables: tablecloths, napkins, pretty teacups, interesting centerpieces made by disabled young people, and trays of wonderful baked goods. Beautiful, Edwardian-age-appropriate quilts hung on all the the walls and there were artifacts here and there, including teapots, various tableware (about twenty of them) that were specific to, and absolutely necessary for, serving everything from pickles to fish to lemon slices.
Judith Kratt-Russo was the presenter and what an terrific job she did.  (She asked for a show of hands from those who followed Downton Abby and, if I'm not mistaken, I was the only one in the packed room who didn't.  Actually, I've never seen the show.)
Kratt-Russo's talk was absorbing.  It concentrated on actual history, rather than the television-spawned fictionalized stuff wherein even a higher-quality show misleads viewers into believing they're learning something important. Thanks to Neil Postman, that hit home with me, but may have struck others as unwelcome news.
Anyway, it was great fun and the tea and goodies after were delicious.  Of course, I ate too many of them and that had to serve for dinner.
Second event of the day was dominos at Ray and Barb's.  They and the rest of the regulars, the Ds., Rs., and your humble servant, were there, and we laughed and talked and had a ball--incidentally playing dominoes--until a staggering 11:30 when we finally broke up.
In between all that, I called brother Frank and Betty and, at my suggestion, we agreed to meet at the Philadelphia train station on Thursday.  I'm relieved--really didn't want to drive to Delaware myself and I doubt is Betty's car would make it.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I believe you would enjoy the TV show 'Downton Abbey'. The acting, costuming, story line and setting are delicious.
I can't imagine anyone thinking it is true word for word. Of course it is fiction...but some of the best.

Mimi said...

I probably would enjoy it, Pat, and I might someday take a look. However, since I go to bed at 9:00, it would have to be in re-runs.
Ms. Kratt-Russo didn't suggest--nor did I--that viewers didn't realize it's fiction. What she pointed out were historic inaccuracies, such as the treatment of servants by the upper crust. She cited specific characters and plot lines, as she watches it, too. She included other interesting sidelights, too.

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...