Friday, May 16, 2014

FELS Luncheon

Got to the FELS (Friends of Encore Learning At Stockton) luncheon just on time at 11:30 and walked in with Louise.  She, Bernice, Lynn, Rachel, and I--the gang from Players & Playwrights--sat together, along with Rachel's husband, Abe. Got a Blue Moon to accompany the salmon and the rest of the okay-but nothing special-had-it-much-too-often-at-these-kinds-of-gatherings food.
Don Guardian, the recently elected mayor of Atlantic City, was the speaker.  I thought I'd be bored, but I wasn't.  I appreciated that he didn't stay at the podium, but roamed a bit with the hand-held microphone in the middle of the room.  He had lots of cheery and optimistic things to say, of course--he's a politician, after all--about that aging wreck, A.C., and if they all come true, it'll be a miracle. However, he's a good speaker, comes across as honest, sincere, and a guy you'd like to have a beer with (uh-oh!), so wasn't too hard to take.
He's also openly gay--even mentioned his partner--and I have a strong affinity for underdogs and those who are "different," feeling so "different" and outside the accepted norm myself.  (That may or may not be accurate.  I think we all try to be exceptional in one way or another and if it doesn't wash that we excel in something, we can non-excel--or something.)
I was pleased that Bev R., prez of FELS, not to be confused with SCOSA (Stockton Center On Successful Aging), mentioned some of the upcoming workshops, including mine on acting.  
It was over about 2:30 and I drove home via Ventnor.  Stopped to say hello to Dee at the old homestead on Rosborough Avenue (she has the upstairs rented and will put the house on the market--again--before long) and Betty on Coffin Alley, just for fifteen or so.
Puttered around at home and am looking forward to today, as for once, I have nothing planned.  Want to get a few hanging chores and errands done.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...