Wednesday, May 14, 2014

SCOSA Gathering

Picked Aline up at 10:00 and we went to the "senior expo" event at Stockton State.  It was pretty standard, but okay. Most of the exhibitors were touting home health care, nursing homes, or variations thereof, and that seems both ominous and boring to me. However, there was a nice lunch, and--high point of the day--one of the workshops was about "the Peace Pilgrim," Mildred Ryder, with whom I'm familiar.  I met her sister, Helene Young, eight or so years ago, have participated in several peace marches, and went to a potluck supper at her modest Egg Harbor home last summer.
The main speaker was Merry Brennan, who wrote a middle-school- level book about the Peace Pilgrim.  I bought one and have already read others about her.  There's a Facebook page for her and a web site:  http://www.peacepilgrim.com/.
However, I despair of the "peace movement," as it would be called if there happened to be one. Since Obama was elected, the false friends of peace are all occupied with excusing him from accountability because after all, it's the nasty republicans who are forcing him to slash and burn the universe.  I chatted a bit with a perfect example, an attendee who said she was "for peace." However, the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, and wherever else we happen to be killing--it's hard to know from day to day--don't count because those people are trying to kill us, and similar garbage.  Ho-hum, what else is new?
We stayed until after 4:00, then Aline came home with me and we talked over iced tea and crackers.  I showed her a reply to an e-mail I had sent LETCO treasurer Tonya.  I had requested reimbursement for mileage re my (or our, because Aline was going to do it, too) "reviewer" status for LETCO.  Wrote Treasurer Tonya twice, she finally answered in a rather curt and dismissive manner, refusing it, and assuming I was withdrawing.
Well, yeah, now I am.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...