Saturday, May 31, 2014

"A Night On Broadway"

Aline called early and I invited her to come along when I went to Shop-Rite.  She did and we stopped a few other places, as well.
Dropped her off and went home to lunch, shower, and dress before I picked her up again to go to the dinner and show at St. Theresa's. We were soon joined by Susan and Walter.
I knew the dinner was catered by Cuisine On The Green, so I guess I expected something a bit fancier for fifteen bucks.  The chicken was okay, but it was accompanied by a limp salad, obviously previously (how's that for a verbal combination?) frozen potato lumps, and an uninspired vegetable medley, the last refuge of the restaurateur who wants to get rid of leftovers.  Plates were some kind of treated cardboard, "glasses" and tableware were the cheapest white plastic kind, and the meal was served haphazardly by the ladies (and a few gentleman) of the church. What struck me most forcefully was the fact that all that "hot" (yes, those quote marks are intended) dishes weren't even the slightest bit warm.
Why?  Well, it could be because there were no candles or any other heat source under the aluminum pans, which were just plopped directly on the tables.  It seems likely the food was picked up by parishioners, stowed in their back seats, and taken over to the church, so they had plenty of time to lose any warmth they might have had.
Oh, well, I brought a bottle of wine, the desserts (homemade by parish members) were good, and it was a fundraiser, so I guess you can't expect too much.    
The show was performed by Kevin B.; the church organist, Kristan Somebody, an operatic soprano; and--remembering the priests of my girlhood, this blows my mind--the pastor, "Father Mick," plus a pianist.  It consisted of Broadway and movie tunes of the past and was enjoyable, but maybe too long, as it took more than three hours.
I assume it was a success financially, as the church was almost filled.  However, ominously for St. Theresa's and by extension, the Roman Catholic Church as a whole, I guess, I didn't see a single attendee under about sixty and most were much older than that.  I understand this demography holds true for most organized religions, which seem to be going the way of the printed newspaper.  Maybe more aptly, they could be equated to Shakerism, but not including the celibacy factor, of course.  I wonder what will take their places and I fear it could be the state religion of militarism, systemic through our society and others.                  

No comments:

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...