Sunday, May 11, 2014

Money

WOW!  I made $157.30 at the flea market!  That's pure profit, with the money I took with me subtracted.
It was a terrific day, but gruelling.  I had to lift and carry big, heavy containers back and forth about twenty times to get the stuff from the car into the room.  A lot of what I sold was made of glass or other heavy material, so puff, puff, it was strenuous.  I had only the small table I borrowed from Roman, but luckily, they had long ones you could rent for five bucks (in addition to the five for the space) and I got one to display my wares.
Vendors were to get there at 7:00; I was a little early and there were already plenty of others there.  I'm so glad I decided to switch to an inside space because after some sprinkles early, it got very hot and humid. Felt good, though, after we've had so much cold.
Of course, people started swarming in about 7:15 before we were completely set up, but hey, they bought right out of the containers, which was fine by me.
I'm always amazed at what people will buy (but I must have wanted it once myself), and I unloaded a mountain of stuff, including my Aunt Betty's duffel bag from WWII, a slew of candles, large and small, my lovely set of fruit dishes, a 1923 West Point yearbook, various and sundry videos, DVDs, CDs, and even cassette tapes, dolls (although they didn't sell as well as I had expected), picture frames, baskets, and even the Blue Man batteried musical instrument, for which I got ten bucks, hard though it is to believe.
I took the opportunity--flea markets attract some younger people, but the majority seem to be pretty long in the tooth--to hand out flyers about my upcoming course at Stockton, and a number of attendees expressed interest. I was flattered when several of the organizers (this is an annual event by the Little Egg Democratic Club) and bargain hunters mentioned they had seen me in Hedda; two even mentioned other shows, including Our Town.
Some of the keys to a successful sale, it seems to me, are: have merchandise on tables at least waist-high (nobody want to squat down to examine stuff on the floor); price it right (the fact that you paid a certain amount for something or that it's "worth" this or that is meaningless); make your display attractive (I always use table cloths and am sure to put taller items in the back, etc.); and, as it sells, keep rearranging the remaining merchandise to its best advantage; talk up your customers with greetings and jokes, rather than just sitting there staring into space.  Puts them in the mood to buy.
I left about 2:00, although the market was supposed to last until an hour later, as by that time, customers had dwindled.  It wasn't nearly as difficult to get things back in the car, as I didn't have as much as when I came, but I was parked a distance away and even so, it wasn't easy.  By then, it was very warm and humid, but I didn't care. Unloaded the leftovers into the garage, jumped in the shower, and happily counted my dough.  
Boy, was I stiff and sore when I got up today--seldom-used muscles and all that, you know--but it was worth it!
Got a lovely flower arrangement, with vase, from Ellen for Mother's Day, and received Google calls from both my boys--and my precious grandchildren--in the evening.  We'll join the other daughter at Lisa's for dinner, Betty included.


No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...