Friday, August 20, 2010

Nice day. I substituted at the food pantry with good friend and neighbor, Leslie, and I called her to suggest we have lunch together first. She was agreeable and we went to Calloway's. Had a delightful lunch and good talkfest (where did that idiotic expression come from? I think from the semi-literate movie magazines I read in my youth) about all kinds of topics. We both had wraps with chicken salad and I had a light beer.
Served at the food pantry from 1:45 to 4:00 and plenty of customers came in, several with little children in tow. It's satisfying to help people this way, but so much more is needed. What if we diverted even a fraction of the money we spend in delivering death and destruction to other countries to feeding the hungry, healing the sick, educating the ignorant, rebuilding our crumbling cities and infrastructure? But that will never happen. Instead, tiny groups scurry around the looming dike and plug holes here and there with their ever-dwindling supply of resources, while the edifice is crumbling and a great wave of water is sliding over the top. We're going to be inundated by it and while we're gasping and struggling, we'll wonder, "How did this ever happen?"
Hey, that's just what citizens in all the other lost empires wondered as they succumbed to the flood.

3 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I totally agree...giving out food is essential, but changing the underlying structures that caused those folks to stand in line for food would help even more. One is charity (essential) and the other is justice...both needed.

Mimi said...

Thanks for your comment, Pat. You know, I had commented on your blog a few days ago (the "nanny" one), and it didn't appear. If you got it and decided not to add, that's okay, but I'm wondering if you got it. Don't think it was particularly provocative, but maybe struck a wrong note or something.

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I have no idea why it didn't 'take'. I just checked the pre and post entries before the one where I said I'd want a nanny, baby nurse, governess etc (August 14th). I thought maybe it got posted to a different entry. Nothing found. Can you repost what you said? I'd love to know what you (a mom of 4) would think about what I said. I think you would agree with my position ...then again..maybe not.

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...