Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Betty was back and forth with her tenants, who were complaining about all kinds of problems with the house. Finally, the husband said they'd leave; he later sent her an e-mail demanding that the rent for the entire week be returned. We're going down there this morning to check the house; then Betty's visit with me will be over. I've enjoyed having her here and traveling around with her and was so sorry when she told me she's leaving next week. Yesterday, we took several things to the post office, visited the SOCH thrift store, ate a veggie lunch at home, but then (foolishly) went to the Chinese Buffet for dinner.
What a spread! There seemed to be every variety of food known to man and I think I sampled most of it. Later, I worked on the damn proofreading of The Breeze; what a chore and where were all the contributors (and the typists at Senior Publishing) when teacher taught that punctuation goes inside quote marks? (As for the use of italics, everybody seemed to be out in the hall during that little lesson.)
We're taking a luncheon cruise on the Crystal Queen riverboat today. According to an article in The Press of Atlantic City, the excursion is on "calm, protected waters...in Absecon Bay and intercostal waterways." Should be fun and I hope it doesn't rain.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I agree about the grammar deficiencies in our population. I used to have a secretary who invariably misused its and it's. I find many folks do the same along with improper use of than/then, or their/there/they're.
No doubt many of those same folks cringe at my incorrect use of capitalization. I capitalize often when it isn't needed. I use italics when I think they will work better to emphasize a point. More than likely I mis- use them as well. It's strange that I allow its/it's etc to irritate me and have no desire to learn/use the proper application of italics, etc. Perhaps it's a case of the splinter in my eye appears as a log in yours or something like that. Anyhow, thank God for editors. Even when my computer tries to tell me a better way to use grammar, I ignore it, and do my own thing. I do find that the more I write I seem to improve.

Mimi said...

Unwarrented capitalization is a capital crime, Pat! (Get it--CAPITAL crime? Heh, heh.) I guess it can be forgiven, but just barely. I don't trust the computer all the time, either, as I have the idea computer people are math, not English oriented.

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...