Thursday, August 19, 2010

Got up north about 4:30 and picked a basket of peaches. After, drove the mile or so to J. and N.'s and we hung out while the boys cleared out the van. I asked where they wanted to go for dinner and big J. chose Shogun Restaurant in Toms River--somewhat of a hike, but he knows the back ways and we didn't have to go on the Parkway. Ever the organizer, he called for reservations for seven at six.
It took about a half hour to get there and we took separate cars, N. and little J. driving with me, the others with Daddy. The fun started when the boys oohed and aahed over the koi pond outside--T. wanted to get in--and continued through dinner. Of course, the actual cooking of the meal right in front of us made a big hit--very theatrical, with much twirling of knives and great flaring up of fire. One of the stunts at this kind of Japanese restaurant (I can't imagine they do this in Kyoda) is for the cook to flick pieces of food into the customers' mouths. He started with me, but I didn't succeed in "catching" it and the little ones didn't want to try, but both J.s got several, to much clapping and cheering around the table.
The fire worried the three-year-olds a bit, but they were also fascinated. Little T. insisted on using chopsticks to eat, but in a very peculiar way--he'd never be invited back in Tokyo--managing to actually get a fair amount of rice, chicken, and tofu in his mouth. I had the pork loin and others shrimp and steak.
Anyway, it was great fun, although pretty pricey. Big J. tried to pay part, but I wouldn't let him; I had invited them out, we had a wonderful time, and just being with that gang is priceless to me. It was quick and easy to get back on the Parkway and I was home by full dark.
WIDER: Here's a neat little movie on empire--ours, that is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQBWGo7pef8

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...