Saturday, October 06, 2007

Went to Santori's yesterday and bought wagonloads of veggies, including broccoli, just about my favorite food. When I got home, I was excited to find a notice from the post office that a package had arrived, but was at the P.O. Patrick had written to the effect that our new DIL, N., had sent us some gifts and I hoped they were what it contained.
It was! She sent Pat an interesting jigsaw puzzle, me a gorgeous and elegant evening bag in gold, silver, and black, and both of us a lovely collage depicting Kaguyahime, "princess of the moon" according to legend. N. is an artist and created it herself, which makes it all the more precious. I'll frame and hang it shortly.
N. included a charming, beautifully written note (in English, of course). I was very surprised, as I know she doesn't speak English and this was perfectly fluent. It was printed in an elegant hand that is practically a work of art itself.
Mike wrote that N. and Patrick sent some Japanese food mixes to him and Paula, and to Vivian, a stuffed toy character from her favorite cartoon "My Neighbor Totoro." He said she loves it; he took a picture of her with it for her web site and will send it to the newly-married couple.
Vivian has started her new school, OFS (Overseas Family School). Mike described her school day, which seems very enriching. He said she loves her music teacher, "the Black one," whom they haven't yet met, but assume is of African ancestry, somewhat unusual in Singapore. Her regular teacher is Austrailian.
Bought more pansies, which I now have to plant, but they're shades of blue and will look good with the yellow and white ones around the front tree.
"The other Vivian," my friend in Barneget, asked if I wanted to go to the Wellspouse dinner meeting on Tuesday in Manalapan and yes, I do. We're taking somebody named Donna, too; we'll meet at Viv's and she'll drive.

3 comments:

Dee's Blog said...

Rosemary does you DIL understand english? I think that was sweet of her to send you a gift, many kids today would never think to do such a thing. I agree with you that a beautiful handwring is a work of art. I never fail to compliment someone that has a nice handwriting. Kids today don't use cursive writing, I don't even know if they teach it in school. Most kids today print. I remember the days in school with penmanship. I always had a nice handwring but since the computer age I realize I am losing it.

Mimi said...

My handwriting is pretty bad, but not as bad as Betty's. My children all have poor, almost illegible handwriting, too, especially the boys.
Honey, the note Natsue sent me actually was printed--but in a beautifully precise and structured hand. No, I understand Natsue doesn't speak English, so I'm intrigued at this note. There are a few very slight errors of usage, but generally, it's excellent. I think she may have had some help from Patrick, but am not sure. Anyway, it was a wonderfully graceful way to introduce herself to her in-laws.

iloveac said...

OK, I'm baaack. What do you mean you don't know what I had at the Crab trap? I had Red fish. Never heard of it as a kid. It was good....very mild.

And what I said when I saw you...hmmm. I was so taken with those adorable red ballerinas I didn't see much else. Oh yes the super red jacket, but the belt...I didn't want to notice...I'm so jealous. Loved that red purse as well.

It was so good to again be with you. Rich even commented how nice you are...he's heard me speak of you...now he knows you. I didn't want to say good bye...glad we skipped that part. You simply must find a way to come visit us.

We almost wound up in Tuckerton. On the way back to the WHP (US 30)...we didn't see an exit. Next stop....yours...exit 50. I was gettting more anxious as it was getting pretty dark. Then the tilling and paving on the Parkway heading in the other direction back to the Fairfield Inn was such hairy drive. Anyhow, we made it.

I hadn't thought of wax lips til reading your post. Never saw eyeballs...yuk.

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...