Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Performed various chores and errands yesterday, all very mundane. Only notable activity was pledging a monthly donation to "The Real News," a new television network that is viewer-funded and accepts no government support or advertising. Hope it will drive even the tiniest wedge into the big-media monopoly that works hand-in-glove with the neocons to promote its agenda, in particular its death-dealing policies.
After leaving dinner for Pat (oh, all right, it was a frozen one), I drove to Viv's in Barnegat and met her and new Wellspouse member, Donna. Viv drove to Manalapan--about an hour away--and we got to the Java Moon in plenty of time for the Freehold group dinner meeting. About ten other people were there, most of whom I had met before. I brought a bottle of white zinfandel, but so had Barbara, who is caregiver for her husband (he has some kind of bad neureopathic disease similar to ALS). She brought a large bottle, which we happily shared, so I took mine home intact.
Great meeting and good dinner. I ordered the tilapia, about half of which I ate. One of the (male) members likes to bake and he brought a wonderful vanilla cake. I actually had a generous slice and if I that means I don't lose tomorrow at WW, so be it.
The discussion was gently, but firmly, directed by Wellspouse Donna (not New Member Donna), whose husband suffered a diving accident 20 years ago when she was 3 months pregnant. He is paralyzed from the neck down. Incidentally, it drives me crazy to attend meetings with a facilitator unable or unwilling to steer the conversation back when it strays from the topic. Donna is very skillful at doing this and we had a good talk.
It was raining when we left--that was welcome, as we hadn't had rain for ages--and Viv drove back carefully to her house, where I picked up my car. Got home at 11:00, an unheard of hour for me. Skipped my usual evening snacks and went right to bed.
I had told Susan if I wasn't at her door at 7:05, I wouldn't walk today and, indeed, I didn't wake up until 6:45. I turned over, preparing to go back to sleep, but you know what? My little nagging inner voice said, "Get up, you lazy slug-a-bed, you know you don't like to skip your walk, and you'll regret it later," so I did. Dressed in about 3 minutes flat, crossed the street to Susan's, and we did our usual brisk mile and a half. Now I feel good, rarin' to go, and will pick Leslie up at 11:00 to work at the soup kitchen.

2 comments:

Dee's Blog said...

3Rosemary, that Wellspouse group sounds wonderful. No one on earth knows what a caregiver is going through except others that are going through the same thing. How often do you meet? I agree that the moderator should keep the conversation on track. We all interject our own thoughts and forget what we started talking about. I just about cried for that women who's Husband had a diving accident. I feel so sorry for both of them, each going through their own hell.

Mimi said...

The Freehold group meets every month, but our own group is still a little unformed. Vivian and I meet every month or so for dinner, but more as friends. However, we may be picking up a few more members in this area soon.
Donna, the facilitator, really does have it tough. Besides her husband, she partly cares for her mother, who has Alzheimer's, plus has 3 children, the two youngest still in high school. (I don't know how she and her husband managed that.) Donna is a very bright, energetic, warm, and funny person and I like her a lot. There's no feeling sorry for her--she knows her situation stinks, but just goes on as we all do.

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...