Saturday, October 13, 2007

Susan and I again walked with umbrellas, but it had cleared up by the time we finished. Went to Santori's, the supermarket, and so on, for salad items and other stuff. Used the nifty new salad spinner Betty had given me, then looked up "salad dressings," as I thought I'd make my own. First one I saw looked good--in a tangy/sweet combo, it combines oil, vinegar, catsup, sugar, and spices--so I made it up and put it in a cruet.
Before I got in the shower, I looked at my e-mail again and was shocked and saddened to get a message from a former colleague. One of the Rider faculty, David R., had had a massive heart attack and died while he was teaching his first class yesterday morning. I had known Dave for years and just saw him at the retirement party I went to last month. What a loss! He was an expert on the quagmire of New Jersey politics and was often asked to comment on events on T.V. and in the NYTimes and other media. What's more, he was friendly and funny, and a wonderfully warm individual. I always liked him and am grieved that he's gone. He was only 58.
The dinner party at Susan and Walter's was wonderful. It was a nice small gathering: Besides the hosts and me, there was just Dennis and Leslie, Ray and Barb, and Dick, a member of their Presbyterian dinner group (Frank and Barbara are traveling).
Susan does wonderful theme parties and last night was no exception. She had a black tablecloth and orange plates, a muttering vampire hanging on the chandelier, and grinning jack-o-lanterns here and there. The table was festooned with tiny decorated pumpkins and adorable little "fright figures," about 3 inches high, with wild hair and scary faces. You squeeze them and their eyes light up and they emit ghoulish sounds. Each one was different and these, we took home with us.
I had brought the large salad and 5 or 6 dressings besides my homemade one, and Susan decided to have a salad course first. Everybody seemed to enjoy it and I got some appreciative compliments.
When dinner (delicious pork tenderloin, roasted vegetables, sweet potato casserole) was served, I made up a platter for Pat and took it across the street, then went back. We then had three yummy desserts (apple crisp, cupcakes--with edible eyeballs!--and Leslie's great pistachio cake), along with after-dinner drinks, including Irish cream, amaretto, and creme de mente. Took Pat a sampling of the desserts when I left about 9:00.
It was a wonderfully convivial evening, just one more example--of many--that this is our place, we belong here, and we'd have to be dragged out to ever leave.
Today, I'm meeting Alison and entourage in Manahawkin to go to the Pinelands Jamboree in Waretown. Should be fun.

3 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I'm so sorry to read about the loss of your friend. I remember you mentioning him in your blog about the retirement party. At least I think it was David you mentioned. So young.
Your dinner party sounds like loads of fun. You do live in a wonderful community. Does everyone take turns in having the parties? If one doesn't want to entertain can they take the group to dinner?

Mimi said...

Pat, three times I tried to explain about our dinner parties,but had to erase, as it's hard to make it clear. We don't exactly "take turns," but we're members of different--and shifting--groups. Some time ago, we did go out every Wednesday night for dinner with five other couples. However, there was some friction and two couples withdrew. Since Pat is no longer able to go, I don't want to, either. However, we often have dinner at, or invite for dinner in, others, including and especially, Frank and BArbara, Ray and Barbara, and Dennis and Leslie. I've had Susan and Walter here with the others, but sometimes just have them over with Judy and Roman--clear as mud, right? Incidentally, the three couples I mentioned above, along with us, I consider the inner circle--would trust them with my lives.

Mimi said...

Ho, ho, I just noticed I referred to "my lives." Do I think I'm a cat or something?

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...