Tuesday, October 16, 2007

After Pat's dermatology appointment (he has still more sun-related lesions, but that's standard), I enjoyed a relaxed and relaxing day. Went to Acme, changed our bed, did several loads of wash, and stopped over Amy Z.'s (not the same Amy who was my co-chair for the Tricky Tray) to give her my Avon order.
Since we moved here, I've ordered Mary Kay products from Leslie, but they're very expensive and I thought I'd try Avon. Because I don't wear makeup everyday, I have mine for years.
Oh, I know, I know--the media, sellout whores to the cosmetic companies, trump up the idea that you have to throw away stuff because bacteria are just dancing all over your makeup sponge and mascara brush and you'll get some icky infection and go blind. (Didn't that used to apply to masturbation?) I can just see some solemn, self-important, lightweight manikin like Katie Couric soulfully gazing into the camera to urge women to help, help, save yourselves, throw that liquid blush into the incinerator, and rush out to continue to enrich the coffers of Estee Lauder before it's too late.
Pul-lease! Just like the "expiraton date" on medications, that's probably 10 percent legit and 90 percent to make the poor sap consumer buy more crap.
Anyhoo, I've always ignored such idiocy. The reason I'm buying from Avon is that I'm sick of the old stuff and want to try something new, superficial bimbo that I am.
Now what's that on my face? Boy, it itches and it's a little sore, and it seems to be spreading--aagh!

2 comments:

iloveac said...

I just couldn't resist commenting on this one. On what are you basing your conclusion that expiration dates are idiocy? Perhaps it is an over abundance of caution for some things, BUT antibiotics lose their efficacy over time. Lipstick becomes rancid and you are ill advised to use 'old' eye make up. Here is just one site you can check
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/08/old_makeup.html

However, as with most health education I have learned people have fixed ideas and no research study will change their minds.
I agree they have gone overboard with expiration dates on many things....e.g. paper towels...LOL.
Masturbation never gets outdated as far as I know.....LOL.

Mimi said...

Okay, okay, assume my tail's between my legs and I'm creeping away from my statements. I certainly came on a little strong, which I have a tendency to do.
BUT I asked the pharmacist a few months ago if I could still take my sample BP pills (I was waiting for Caremark to send more). They had "expired" in 2005 and he said they were still okay and still potent. He indicated that many expiration dates are questionable. What I found interesting is that they aren;t necessary harmful if taken after the date, as people may think, but may simply lose some potency. As for cosmetics--yep, probably I shouldn't keep them until they're germy--all I know is, I've never suffered any problem with them--and I AM getting new, remember.
Guess I just get sick of talking heads advising us about every topic under the sun when probably you can get along fine with just common sense. Now, lest I sound like a pig, keep in mind that I DO wash my hands frequently, change washcloths and towels everyday and practice other procedures that may even be compulsive...

Tuesday

Sent a welcome e-mail to my new tenants, mother and daughter, Laura and Prudence. I must remember to check to see if I need to send anything...