Thursday, October 04, 2007

Busy, busy day yesterday, and very enjoyable. While Pat napped in the morning, I ran errands in Manahawkin. Bought more mums, these in white and purple, and they look great in the garden. Brother Frank called soon after I got home and we had a good talk. (He and Marybeth are just back from a month in Ireland.) Received another item for the Tricky Tray event, then just had time to hop in the shower, dress (I wore the belt--yes!), and get over to Ventnor Heights to pick Hazel up. Saw her 11-year-old granddaughter, a stunningly beautiful little girl with long blonde hair. She looks as if she should be in a medieval painting with a falcon on her finger.
We went to the caregivers' group at the JCC and I think it's a pretty good one. There were only two other women there besides the facilitator, Hazel, and me, but that's not a bad size. The other women had elderly husbands with varying problems, but of course, in a caregivers' group, it isn't important what the malady of the IS ("ill spouse," as we say in Wellspouse) happens to be; the emphasis is on the well caregiver.
After discussion (confidential), we agreed to meet again in a month. The facilitator, Lois, suggested we meet for lunch or dinner at a local diner for one of the sessions--hey, you know me, that sounded like a great idea! I think Hazel got something out of it, and I did, too, although I'm an old hand at these gatherings.
Dropped Hazel off, then headed back to the end of the island. Went over the Longport Bridge and got to The Crab Trap with no problem--in fact, I was early by about a half hour. Called home and Pat said all was well, except the Phillies were losing (sob!). Then just sat outside (the weather was wonderful) and waited for Pat R. and her Rich...
...and here they came! It was so good to see Pat again and wonderful to meet Rich. We fell on each other with hugs and kisses, then sashayed into the restaurant, were seated immediately, and fell to our favorite occupation, hobby, and avocation: talking. Pat, of course, had to be drawn out, she's such a shy flower (ha, ha), but Rich held his own pretty well in trying to get a word in edgewise.
It's so good and comfortable and fulfilling to be with somebody you like and admire and who has a brain and uses it. We just had a ball. As for what we literally "had"--to eat that is--I had broiled flounder with two sides of veggies, plus salad, a Coors Light, and decaf. Pat and Rich got seafood, too, of course, I just don't recall what. Rich insisted in picking up the tab, although I protested, but he's a big-hearted, generous guy and I didn't have a prayer. Thanks, Buck!
I wanted to start home before darkest nightfall, so we reluctantly said goodbye before we had really finished talking (will that ever happen?--I'm never "finished" talking!) We agreed I should visit them in Virginia Beach some weekend and boy, I'd love to and hope to be able to arrange it.
Got home with no problem. Pat was fine and said Betty had called. I called her back and we had a nice talk.
Good day all around and now I'm ready for our walk, then Weight Watchers.
Later: Yet again, I lost 1.6 pounds, just a shade more than one and a half. Considering I had a nice dinner last night and two meals at the Wellspouse gathering on Saturday, that's good. It brings me to 161.6, with 38 pounds off. I expect to get into the 150s and/or 40 pounds lost within the next two Thursdays.

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...