Thursday, November 02, 2023

Wednesday

Julie picked me up at 9:00, then stopped for Brigette, and we zipped over to the BCNN meeting. It was a gorgeous, warm, sunny day at the yacht club and there was real cream out with the coffee. After remarks by president Dusty, the program went on. It was presented by the owner of a health club in Simi Valley which specializes in older people. There was the usual pitch, then volunteers were requested to do the "ball drumming" exercise. I was tempted, but didn't participate. Actually, it was fun to watch, with jazzy music playing and various movements by the drummers:

I signed up for a Lake Casitas boat trip on the sixteenth, along with Julie. She, Brigette, and I opted out of lunch with the group yesterday and instead ate at The Graven Raven, where we went last month. I had their yummy chicken pot pie and a Topa Topa brew. 

I had barely gotten home when Suzanne Haydon, from American Legacy Solutions, came for her appointment to fill me in on new supplementary insurance. Incredibly, not only did she find me one as good as what I have, but this, SCAN, is even better. She was here about an hour explaining options, and was very helpful. She's a friend of Lora's, whom I texted after to tell her how much I liked Suzanne. Interestingly, in a different life, she had been a makeup artist. 

After she left, I put in a load of wash, then got a call from my niece, Nancy Byrne (aka Kathy Baker). This is another of my brother, Larry's seven children and the sister of Jeanne, who called me on Tuesday about the DNR/ambulance person question. Nancy is an R.N. in the management end of a very busy hospital in Fort Lauderdale and she knows the ropes. I was interested to learn that in Florida, people can get a "yellow paper" which disallows resuscitation in an ambulance if they have a DNR. Presumably, if they don't have this--in addition to the DNR--they will be intubated or otherwise revived. Nancy said that the two places a DNR is invalid is insurgery and "in transport."  After that, we had a fine time chatting and catching up with each other's lives. Here we are in Florida when I visited two years ago. L. to R., Nancy, Larry, niece Joan, me, and Joan's husband, Jim:
Okay, it's now 4:01 AM. I foolishly got up a few minutes ago, having awakened before 3:00.  I can ascribe this annoyance to the fact that I didn't walk yesterday. I've been sleeping so well lately--to 5:15 or so, which for me is ideal--I'm convinced as the result of enough exercise. I'm meeting Diane for lunch across from her place, so may take a hour's nap before I have to leave.

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...