Monday, November 06, 2023

Sunday: Lots Going On

I completed forgot about daylight saving time, but no matter; my electronic devises change on their own and I fixed the stove, microwave, and two clocks by hand. Carolyn called about 9:00 (8:00? 10:00?) and we had a good talk. I was delighted to hear she'd like to come to the show on Thursday and we plan to go to Jasmine Thai beforehand. Show starts at 8:00, so it'll be late when she gets home, but I guess she's okay with that. I had invited Jim for lunch on Thursday, but will call him and ask if he'll change to Friday. 

Got dressed in my Dudley House costume...

                                                           

...and went outside to wait for the Access Van. I got there early, of course, but Lynne came soon after. She told me they had had twenty "visitors" in October, which she considered a good group. Incredibly, yesterday, we had forty-five. The routine is for the first docent (yesterday, that was me) to conduct the tour in the downstairs, and another to do the upstairs. I was kept plenty busy, that's a cinch--hardly had time to sit down, but that's a lot better than the opposite. 

A young woman named Katy, whom I hadn't met before, acted as greeter and her mother, Laura, did the upstairs tour. I greatly enjoyed talking to Katy, partly because she's a producer in television who been involved in many shows. Now, you might think a producer is some kind of big mahoff and maybe some are in Hollywood, but in fact, I have the strong impression that "producer" means "general factotum" who does anything that needs doing. Anyway, we had a good time talking.

Suzanne came to pick me up at 4:00 and boy, did it feel good to get the damn costume off. As soon as possible, I'm going to take it--along with a dress I have--to the dry cleaners down on Victoria and get them both hemmed. 

Called Ellen and we had a good chat. She made a wonderful and touching poster for her third-grade class, a picture of which I'll add here tomorrow.

I had left my program from Red in Vickie's car and she texted me to tell me. I invited her over, she came at 7:30 and we sat--she with non-alcoholic beer, I with satisfyingly alcoholic sherry--and talked for three hours! I liked her when I first met her and I do more and more as I get to know her. As my daughters and many of my other friends do, I feel she provides some of the sisterly intimacy I've lost. The fact that she's almost exactly twenty years younger than I am, is of little significance; that age difference is true of most of my friends here.

Soaring Spirits lunch today and it will be good to have a nice, relaxed day.  I'll take my cart and go somewhere else after.

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...