Saturday, November 25, 2023

Friday

It was back to school day on Friday, but first, Ellen, Greg, and I went to The Farmer and the Cook for breakfast. (This is one of those trendy California-with-a-capital-C places, with exclusively organic fare and sacred foodstuffs that used to be designated hippie city or whatever.) Before he left for work, Greg suggested that Jim and I come over for lunch sometime next week. I'll look at my calendar, then get in touch with Jim. 

After that, El and I packed up and went to her classroom where we spent several hours preparing for the coming school terms. I had a wonderful time correcting essays, cutting out arithmetic cards, and otherwise returning to third grade at St. James Grammar School. Actually, my nine-year-old self would have been amazed and thrilled at the wealth of colorful resources these kids have. Here's a taste of Ellen's classroom:


I got a kick out of this whimsical poster about herself; I assume the other teachers display them, too: 
When our chores were finished, El treated me to lunch at Spring Garden, the Chinese restaurant next to Trader Joe's. I had the Lo Mein and took home plenty enough for dinner tonight. We stopped at Von's, then went to my place and El stayed for a bit, then I walked her to her car. I had had a wonderful Thanksgiving and now I'm back to--well, back.

I had asked Diane if she wanted to go to a free (by a funeral home) lunch at Rincon Brewery on December 5 and she accepted. There's also a "Sip 'n' Shop" at the museum on the sixth--free champagne and you can buy over-priced artwork, too--think I'll see if Noreen wants to go.  

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...