Monday, September 25, 2023

Sunday

By 10:30, I had stripped he bed, done a white wash, re-made, had breakfast, hard-boiled some eggs, and cleaned  up the patio. (Yeah, but ask how active I am after dinner.) The Sunday crossword was very pleasurable; I got all but two and it was just difficult enough. 

I was about to leave for town when I suddenly saw a kind of curved half-rainbow in my left eye. This persisted for several minutes and I immediately called my ophthalmologist group, Miramar Eye. Talked to Dr. Trotter, who asked me several questions, then said it could be, believe it or not, a migraine. They can be present without pain and manifest themselves in the eye. The other possibility I don't remember. Anyway, he told me to call the office at 8:30 today and get an appointment today. Now this can be a problem. For one thing, to reserve the Access Van, you have to call a day ahead; I called and tried persuading them to waive the requirement, but no soap. The other problem is he's in Oxnard tomorrow and I don't know how to get to his office on the bus. Called Suzanne, but she's with other Sisters for a few days. I may just have to wait until the doc's in Ventura. 

I had texted Vickie about Diane's stroke, then ran into her as I was leaving for town. We talked and she expressed her regret. Got to town to meet Stella. She attends mass at the mission and this one, at noon, ran  until 1:20, so we didn't eat until late. Went to Paradise Pantry and it was okay, but I was annoyed at the fact that I had to mention the twenty bucks she owes me for the show ticket. I could have let it slide, but I know she isn't hurting for money, so why should I? I don't like being shafted, either. She only had fifteen in cash, wanted to give me that, but I said no, just bring it next time we meet. We had an okay visit, though.

On the bus home, Ellen called and we had a long, enjoyable talk. Her company, the couple from Austria, is coming next Saturday and she has to prepare for them, plus has a very busy week at school. But hey--this is her last work year, so happy day!

CARTOON CORNER

I'm "friends" on Facebook with an literature-related site (can't remember what it's called) and they ran the following. I laughed out loud, but could barely resist looking over my shoulder. I was thinking of Miss Veronica Cary, of the Ventnor Library, the quintessential librarian, very prim and proper, all those many years ago--we're talking the thirties and forties here. (O lost and by the wind grieved/ghost come back again--Thomas Wolfe)

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...