Sunday, September 10, 2023

Saturday

Spent the morning cleaning up and straightening up. I realized I had no red wine for Jim, so went over to Von's for Cabernet Sauvignon. Set the table, made the deviled eggs and stored them in the fridge, constructed five sandwiches of turkey, lettuce, and tomato, and otherwise set up. I was surprised that Suzanne came to the door at noon--I had told her 12:30--but no prob, she just dropped off the peach pie she had bought for dessert and want back next door for a half hour.

Jim got here at the appointed time and we three sat and chatted for a bit. I laid out lunch, we ate, then at Jim's suggestion, moved over to the sofa.  Suzanne suggested a game of Socall (or something) which is a variation of the gin rummy I know and love. The twists and turns and little changes were annoying, so after Suzanne left to take her nap, Jim and I played the usual gin.  

He and I also talked about his future--in a hesitant, meandering kind of way. Jim has become alarmingly frail in body, but even more so in his mind. His memory is abysmal and his comprehension all over the map. He kept saying how complicated the card game is and failed to understand a lot of the rules.  He doesn't remember so many things--such as what his income is and the names of people he's heard over and over.  We talked at length about the possibility of an independent living facility for him and I told him I'd look into pricing and so on (it will be a miracle if he can afford any). I think I'll call Anne, activities director at the Townehouse, whom I know, and ask if I take a tour and talk over particulars. Jim stayed until 4:30.

I was pleased to get a text from Carol F., whom I met a few weeks ago as I was walking in the complex. She was just moving out, we chatted, liked each other, and I gave her my card, suggesting she contact me when she was settled. In the text, she suggested lunch and she'll pick me  up at 11:30 tomorrow. Good, I always enjoy making new friends. 

I called Stella to apologize for my snippy behavior last week. It was my reaction to her coming late to the show, then saying I had given her the wrong address. I should save my freakin' temper for those who deserve it, such as Rolling Oaks Radiology. 

Called Ken and asked if he'd get my cane, which I used in the show (I don't need it in real life--yet) and bring it to the party at Christine's next Saturday. He will. Mike video messaged me after his bike run and we had a nice chat.  

No comments:

Wednesday

Well, things are looking up. I made a decision about the 29 1/2 show on the eighteent and: no, I'm not going to participate. I emailed d...