Thursday, July 21, 2022

Wednesday And Two Good Meals

Walked to LaVonne's via the foot path over the freeway and arrived, as planned, at 11:30 for brunch. She lives with her daughter, Regina, who's a very pleasant, personable sixtyish. Also there was Marooka(?), LaVonne's granddaughter and Regina's niece. She's the one who lives and teaches (nursery school) in Thailand. 

I had a wonderful time! We had mimosas (champagne and O.J.--yum!) and as an appetizer, a simple, but good, fresh fruit combination. The entrée was a real southern dish: gravy over biscuits, accompanied by broccoli. This wasn't from a mix; LaVonne made the heavenly biscuits from scratch (I found out later she had won second and third prizes at the Ventura County Fair for them), ditto the gravy, with diced meat in it. Everything was homemade and delicious.

Regina ("Reggie") and I talked and talked while LaVonne went back and forth to the kitchen, Marooka chiming in here and there. Reggie has worked in the office of the Ventura Endoscopy Center for seventeen years, the very place where I got my colonoscopy. I greatly enjoyed our conversation and hope to have LaVonne and Reggie over soon. Marooka will turn 31 on Sunday and will return to Bangkok next week.

I stayed until about 1:30, then said goodbye. Took the 11 bus to the transit center, then the 6 home. I actually took a short nap when I got home. Ellen called to report on the patient (Greg, but he's recovering well) and the aborted vacation.  Mike called to suggest he pick me up for dinner and I was pleased about that.  

He got here at 5:30 and we went first to the Aloha, but it wasn't to the spoil kid's liking, so I directed him to the Blue Agave instead. Actually, this was pretty good; he had tacos and I had quesadillas. Home and he left soon after, as he had some business conferences to attend--virtually, of course. 

Here we are at the Blue Agave:

He suggested we get together again on Sunday, but I have a cast and crew workday from 1:00 to 5:00. At rehearsal tomorrow night, I may ask Shannon if I can get out of it. On the other hand, I think Mike may be free on Saturday, too. 

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...