Wednesday, September 06, 2023

Wednesday

Right after breakfast, I galvanized myself, washed the bath area throw rugs, and dry-mopped, then wet-mopped the hard floors. On a roll, I then took a shot at cleaning up the patio. I gave it a once-over, but soon want to do a more thorough job. 

I called Stella and said I was annoyed that she told Diane I had given her the wrong address for Fractured Actors and I'm sure I didn't. Also, I had told her I had left her ticket at the box office (really just the entrance), with her name on it, but she somehow breezed in without asking for it. I then brought up the fact that I had bought her twenty-dollar ticket. If I thought she had any money problems, I would have let it go, but I've been in her house in Oakview--very large, surrounded by at least an acre, if not more, and with a view. Considering what real estate goes for here, I know she ain't hurtin'. I suggested we get together next week.

Called Diane about the above and, as I knew, she's had her problems with Stella, too. Oh, well, I know she doesn't so it on purpose--just getting a little long in the tooth, as who isn't?

Ordered (pre-publication) Patrick Lawrence's new book, Journalists And Their Shadows, about a topic in which I'm intensely interested: the corruption of journalism into an always-embedded entity without even the pretense of neutrality. The author cites Upton Sinclair's The Brass Check; it was published in 1919, but he believes it's relevant in particular ways now. I found it in a pdf version and will be pursue that, too.

Packed a lunch and bused to town. Strolled Main Street, then ate at my usual place across from the mission. Bused back, stopping at Target at the mall for milk; home at 4:00. 

Ellen called on her way home and we had a good talk. Her birthday is next Monday, September 11, and I'll take her and Greg to dinner to celebrate. Also have a few things for her. This is a pivotal year for her and after just nine months of being 60, she'll retire--YAY! 

Just to gussy up the entry, here a spectacular shot of the Ventnor beach by Sean Gleason:

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...