Saturday, September 23, 2023

Friday

Weight: Gained a pound at home to 128.4 and 1.06 at T.O.P.S., that brought me to 129.4, just skirting the edge of the dreaded 130, but I'm sure I'll make it up--or down--next week. A new person came, who may or may not join, and Cheryl took her home before dropping me off. That made breakfast very late and I didn't actually finish until 11:00. 

After, I walked to Smart 'n' Final for a few frozen items, then to The Dollar Tree next door for a few others. Instead of directly home, I decided to walk to the park, then took the 11 and the 21 buses home. Didn't have lunch until almost 3:00 and then had one of my odd ones: frozen potatoes, cut for hash browns,which I stir-fried in olive oil. That, with iced tea, was all I had--weird, but I didn't care. As for dinner, weeks ago, I had sliced and frozen the big zucchini Lisa gave me. Defrosted and dressed it with olive oil, seasonings, and parmesan, and roasted. It wasn't bad and I ate about half--that's all I wanted for dinner. 

Other than the above, the business world continues to try to trip me up: 

Prime Management, which manages Sunrise Bay where my house is, had emailed me a notice at the beginning of the month to the effect that the lease with my tenants had to be renewed--by May, 2024! I called, was told by LeAnn it was sent in error and that she'd send the notice in April. I had barely hung up and had lunch when I received another, identical email--is the business world going nuts? Yes, and there's plenty of room in the asylum for SO-FI Apartments: 

Heard again from Jasmine of SO-FI management. She was asking why my utilities payment of $90.26--automatically generated by Bank of America--has "Wells Fargo" on the paper check. I took it, saw it had been deducted from my bank account, called BOA and, to my surprise, was told that Wells Fargo prints their checks. I guess all the banks are in cahoots. To clarify what goes on from here, I took Jasmine a paper check for the rent, too--will now go into "RentCafe" and have payments generated from there.

Called my pal, David, the bird guy, to report this and we discussed. I also asked him how he was doing emotionally. He lost his ex-wife (but he still cared for her) several months ago and it hit him hard. He said he felt he was slowly recovering, but not completely. Of course, he'll never be the same.

Son Mike was on a business trip to Texas last night--nineteen hours in the air. He'll be there only a week and I asked him to get in touch when he has a chance.

Nostalgia Time:

Saw this stylized picture of the Knife & Fork Inn on Facebook. How I loved it--I first tasted escargot there and I've loved them ever since. Haven't had any for decades, California being so provincial. (The owners lived across the street from my twin sister.)

I couldn't directly post the following video, but it can be copied and opened in the search engine. It's a aerial view, starting in A.C., then zooming to Ventnor and St. James church, school, and convent. The rectory was already gone and now only the church remains: 

https://www.facebook.com/1126224108/videos/10220362025817186?idorvanity=93044820509

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Cool video. Looks like Google Earth the way it zooms right into Ventnor.

Ellen said...

You had escargot several years ago at that Italian restaurant in San Luis Obispo. Vivian was visiting us, and she was about 10 years old then.

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...