Wednesday, June 07, 2023

Toolin' Along On Tuesday

I spent the first half of the day putting together, rearranging, and printing the scripts for Monologue, which I'll bring to the BCNN meeting this morning. All the players will be there and, in fact, Susan and Rosa will be performing Truth. I quickly wrote out something I'll say to introduce them and I'll add an intro for the other four players. 

Suzanne stopped in for a few minutes and I started yammering to her about how much this little enterprise is costing me. I've probably spent about 75 bucks on ink and paper. That doesn't take into account, of course, my time and effort (that ain't worth two cents). I was amazed and amused when she--in all seriously--suggested I have a little container and ask my acting group to contribute. Oh, good grief, first of all, that wouldn't be allowed by the club and second, I'd rather beg on the street. I guess because I'm reasonably frugal and complain about the cost of things (greeting cards, five bucks and up--geez!), I've given Suzanne the impression I find it hard to make ends meet. In truth, I have plenty of money; I never touch the investments and my monthly income is always clogging up my bank accounts.  

Ellen called on her way home and we had a good talk. Just another week and a few days until school is out--whee!  She and Greg were going to Sea Fresh for dinner, as they often do. One of these days, I want to go with them.

Went over to Von's for milk and also picked up a lovely big kabocha squash. It was a bear to cut, but I softened it in the oven first, then roasted it. Had some for dinner with my turkey stir-fry and it was yum.

Earlier, I called my niece and told her the few little errors in her book. She was very appreciative and we had a nice chat--actually, an hour-long talk. She also sent me pictures, some of which will be in the book. I have most of them, but was pleased to get those I didn't, including:
First Communion day, of course. I have no idea who the girl in the middle is. It's incredible that we had to  have all body covered, aside from face and hands. That meant long white stockings (with garter belts, no panty hose then) and long sleeves. It was impossible to get long-sleeved white dresses at that time of year (or anytime, I guess) in our sizes, so Aunt Maggie always made them. They were actually lng with tubes to cover up our surely sinful bare arms. Nineteenth century, anyone? 
Whole family, Easter Sunday, 1943. I had the one of just the children on the same day, but not this one.
1944. From l., Mom, cousin Dorothy, Aunt Maggie, Aunt Gertrude, and my beautiful sister, Gene.

AND--SPEAKING OF PICTURES:
Another Andrea Kowch, this time a woman grappling grimly with hens and chickens--or chickens and hens, which came first?
This seems just as disturbing as the storm one--maybe more so. 

2 comments:

iloveac said...

I see more of a resemblance between you and Gene than I do with you and Betty. Yet you and Betty especially YOU are so easy to identify. Great pictures. I loved my First Communion veil. My mother had to make detachable sleeves/tubes for my arms. I never thought of it as sinful to expose our skin just the style.

Mimi said...

Yes, there's no question Gene and I leaned much more to the Irish Byrne side and Betty to Figenshu (German). As for the dresses--oh, no, it wasn't a style, just as the long white stockings weren't. I was explicitly told it indicated purity, a soul unblemished by sin, just as a bride wearing white does.

Wednesday

Well, things are looking up. I made a decision about the 29 1/2 show on the eighteent and: no, I'm not going to participate. I emailed d...