Thursday, December 10, 2009

What a terrific, wonderful evening! Susan had invited me to dinner a few weeks ago, and asked me to come at 6:30. The thought crossed my mind at the time that it seemed a little late--in this community, that is--but I mentally shrugged and got there promptly at that time. I could see through the window that the other guests seemed to be there already and when I walked in--
SURPRISE! It was a birthday party for me! Since I'll be in California on the twenty-first, Susan had arranged the party in my honor for last night and, oh, it was delightful from beginning to end. My dearest friends on the street were there: the hosts, Susan and Walter, Dennis and Leslie, and the two Barbara's with their Frank and Ray. Judy and Roman were there, too, along with Anne Mary, whom I was happy to see.
After plenty of wine and delicious appetizers, dinner was served buffet style and oh, was it good. I was told to sit in the place of honor at the head of the table, the chair bedecked with three birthday balloons. Dinner was scrumptious and included ham, double-stuffed sweet potatoes, string bean casserole, potato salad, rolls, and other sides. For dessert, there was a beautiful cake--"Happy Birthday, Rosemary"--and everybody sang the birthday song. In addition, Barbara brought two "fluffs"--pumpkin and pineapple--and somebody had made a key lime pie.
After that? Presents! I got a necklace, a pair of Alpine gloves, a Scrabble dictionary, a gift card for Borders, and from the D.'s, a large bottle of White Zin and several packets of popcorn--yay!
Well, it was just a wonderful evening. Didn't break up until almost 11:00, when everybody went happily home--across the street or two doors down for all of us. How lucky, how very lucky I am to have landed here. It's almost impossible to believe I didn't know any of these people, now so dear to me, just 7 years ago. And, in addition, of course, I've been favored with the best family imaginable.
All those I love and cherish are related to me, either by blood or by warm fellow feeling--and I couldn't be happier about it.

No comments:

Tuesday

Sent a welcome e-mail to my new tenants, mother and daughter, Laura and Prudence. I must remember to check to see if I need to send anything...