Saturday, July 18, 2009

Hey, things are looking up. Went to Kohl's early and got a pair of walking shoes (sneaks) with the 30 % off coupon. Pat okay after the early low blood sugar scare and I got him situated, then went off for my hair appointment.
For years, I've believed I had to fight against my hair's natural Indian-straight characteristics and that I needed height on top. Well, Eileen, my new guru, cut it in a short bob and it looks great. She also colored it slightly lighter than I usually do, and added blondish streaks. It was pricey, and she said we had to "work with" the fact other hairdressers had layered it, but I like it a lot. After dinner, called Ellen on the web cam so she could see it and she emphatically agreed it looks great. The salon is all the way over in Linwood, about 45 minutes away, but I can live with that and will go every six weeks. The real test, of course, is to see if I can restore it after I wash it, but right now, I'm thrilled over it.
Wider: On AntiWar.Com, Joe Calloway has a strong, well-reasoned piece called "A Lesson From Vietnam For Obama's War in Afghanistan." He describes the men--mostly men--from privileged backgrounds and Ivy League colleges who advise presidents:
"Presidents right up to today’s like to surround themselves with such self-assured and certain men, men whose eagerness to find war the answer to most problems often grows in direct proportion to their lack of experience in uniform or combat."
Galloway outlines the steps that could have been followed to end or shorten the war in Vietnam--but weren't--then writes:
"This small history lesson can be read as a cautionary tale to President Barack Obama’s team as they oversee an excruciating slow-motion end of one war, Iraq, and a pell-mell rush to wade ever deeper into another one in the mountains and deserts of remote and tribal Afghanistan."
But do our leaders ever learn from history and decide to lay down their swords? Hey, here are more questions: What was the Vietnam war all about? Why did more than 58,000 Americans and countless other humans die?
And the best question, from a song, no less, that I'm afraid will never be answered: When will we ever learn?

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...