Saturday, August 26, 2006

Larry arrived before lunch yesterday while the cleaning people were still here. (When they come twice a month, Pat sits in the garage to keep out of their way and I retreat to the porch.) No problem: The guys just chatted out there until they finished, then we had lunch--easy because I served what was left over from Tim and Eileen's visit.
Later, Jack B. came over and we all just hung out and talked. Jack asked Larry over for dinner today, for his son's birthday, so Larry will go to Manahawkin. (The son had attended Larry and Helen's 50th anniversary party with Jack in June.)
Had "fried" (baked) chicken for dinner, after which Patrick called, then Alison--always a pleasure to hear from both of them. Friend Susan had given me two lovely muffins she had made herself, so I served them for dessert. Larry ate both and assured me they were delicious.
After dinner, Larry and I (Pat was going to go, but changed his mind) drove down to the Radio Road bay. Thought I'd show him Atlantic City over the water, but there was cloud cover and it was obscured. Did point out the massive blocks of concrete right in the middle of three streets--they used to hold the antennae for which Radio Road is named.
When we got home, Pat and Larry settled in to watch an exhibition (or something) Eagles game and I took a shower. Just as I stepped out, the phone rang, and it was my eccentric--and often distraught--neighbor, who asked if I had company. I told her I did, but being oblivious to others she asked if I could "just come to the door for a minute." Sigh...yes, sure, I'll come to the door, just give me two minutes to dry off. Of course, I had to ask her in, although we stayed in the study. She gave me a little candle, very pretty, but very unnecessary, which followed the note of thanks she had sent earlier for my "care and concern" when I tried to calm her down after her hysterical reaction to recent setbacks. Aagh!
She finally left and I poured myself a nice glass of cream sherry (figuring I deserved it) and settled down with a book while the guys watched the game.
The phone rang again at about 8:45 and I was surprised to hear Joan H.'s voice. Joan, who lives in North Carolina, is the daughter of my dear friend, Elaine M., who died two years ago. The M. family and ours had been across-the-street neighbors on Lower Ferry Road for 41 years. Joan told me that her father, Len, had died a few hours before--ironically in the same hospice Elaine did. It seems ironic because they had a troubled 60-year marriage that produced seven children, but no harmony. I think Elaine always wanted to get away from Len and he followed her to St. Francis Compassionate Care.
Well, I'm sorry--I'm always sorry to hear about anyone's death--and will try to get to the funeral unless it's on Wednesday, which is when we're having more company.
Aside from the last, it was a wonderfully enjoyable day and I 'm looking forward to another today when brother Jim comes in.
Note: Lots of lightning flashes and thunder going on right now--will we finally get rain?







No comments:

Simply Spendid Sunday

I bused to Ojai and got there at 11:00. We waited until Ellen "did" her hair--which means using a kind of revolving brush/dryer to...