Thursday, August 17, 2006

Had an great day today. In the morning, after my walk with Susan and her adorable little granddaughter, 7-month-old Sophia, I talked to Mike. He's in in Hong Kong, and he told me some inside info on a famous murder case--I can't be more specific than that. Later, I was on my way to Boscov's when I decided instead to go down to St. James in Ventnor to get the tickets for the August 27 reunion. Walked around the school, met the secretary and principal, mentioned their badly-done web site, and bought the tickets.
I then went across Atlantic Avenue to the new and spectacular Library/Cultural Center building, which opened in June. It's really beautiful AND it contains the Ventnor City Historical Society museum--what a great find! The old pictures and memorabilia were so absorbing. It isn't too big, so you can see it all, and it isn't so terribly professional that it loses you--the displays are just wonderful. The temporary exhibit is of the lifeguard squad and I knew a lot of the ones pictured, including Bill McB., now Lily McB., George W., and lots of others. Some of the pictures were of four lifeguards on a lifeguard stand taken in 1953, then the same people in the same pose taken in 1992. That was great to see, and maybe they should continue to the present day.
In the hall is a "Honor Roll" that lists veterans of WW II from Ventnor. It includes my brother, Jim and Pat's brother, John. On the other side is the library and down the huge center hall is an activities room and a dance studio (I was a little puzzled at that one.) The building has big windows and was flooded with sunlight; you could see the beach and the ocean beyond the little park that was built a few years ago (Pat and I have a brick in it with our names on it). The whole place reminded me so pleasantly of the old library on the boardwalk that went down in a storm (I think) about 40 years ago.
Anyway, I hope my siblings can get down to see this and spend some time there; I'd hate them to miss it. I told Pat about it and we're going to go down. I think if we park in back and he takes the walker, he can get to it, as he can sit down when he needs to.
After, I called Mary H. for lunch, but she was baby-sitting. I stopped over and we chatted for a half-hour or so. Pat was at the bay when I got home, so I went down there, then to our mayor's produce market to get fresh JERSEY tomatoes, peaches, potato salad, and a key lime tart. All in all, a very nice day...

No comments:

Simply Spendid Sunday

I bused to Ojai and got there at 11:00. We waited until Ellen "did" her hair--which means using a kind of revolving brush/dryer to...