Friday, June 09, 2023

Thursday

I was able to take an hour nap after breakfast, and got up feeling revived. Good thing, as I wanted to put to rest my preparations for the Acting for Amateurs session on Monday. I wrote a letter to all six, with some tips and pointers on doing dramas, as opposed to comedies. The techniques are, of course, entirely different; whether this will penetrate the kiddies' little heads is questionable. I included a suggestion that after "class," we walk over to Lalo's, right across the street near Von's, for lunch. I went over there myself to see if I needed a reservation (no, but I'll call and let them know how many as soon as I find out) and whether they would do separate checks--yes.

Suzanne stopped in and insisted on giving me a ream of copy paper, prompted by hearing my lamentations about  using so much paper and ink for the class. I assured her I wasn't about to go belly-up financially, but she said she had gotten it free as some kind of premium, so finally I took it.

I also got some other "bookkeeping" things done. I have a bunch of birthdays coming up and I addressed twelve cards--still must get Patrick's (6/28) and Natsue's (6/20), plus gifts for them. I'm trying to think of a joint gift I can order through Amazon Japan--but maybe just a gift card (or whatever they call them now).

Via the Access Van, Diane and I got to The Townhomes very early, about 5:15. I showed her around, then we went up to the seventh floor for the Poseidon Adventure* evening. I had called to reserve and we found our seats. Here's Diane (not a good picture of her):

Management did itself proud, I must say, with the whole floor turned over to Hollywood, the movie, and a yummy buffet:



We were greeted warmly throughout the evening by 1.) Evan, who's executive director; 2.) Anne, activities director, whom I've known casually since I used to come here for Dr. Wordling's talks; 3.) Didn't catch the name, operations director, and 4.) Jay. I asked the latter his function there and found that he's the owner. I'm not naive enough to think they were all just blown away by our youth and beauty; of course, they're in the business of attracting more residents. However, it was gratifying and, combined with champagne, food, and Earnest Borgnine, it made for a very enjoyable outing. What's more, the Access Van got there just as we got down to the ground floor and--Zeus be praised, after 45 minutes of Netflix, I slept until 4:30! 

* Incredibly, the movie is now fifty-one years old. I noted how acting styles have changed in that time--and mostly for the good, it seems to me. There was so much bombast and carpet chewing in Poseidon, they rivaled the spectacular special effects. 

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...