Friday, June 16, 2023

Thursday

A good day. I walked to Telephone, bused to Office Depot to get two (fearfully overpriced) ink cartilages; went next door to Aldi Supermarket for cauliflower, sweet peppers, and mushrooms stuffed with spinach and cheese; then to Target and bought a purse.  

While I was out, Julie called to see if I could, after all, join with her to take Lora out for a birthday dinner. We had originally planned that, but when I forgot to tell Lora, J. made new plans. These were squelched at the last minute, and the upshot was, we agreed to redo Thursday evening.

Cheryl also called to see if I had a ride to T.O.P.S. this morning, as she wasn't sure she'd go. Poor thing:  Her nose is healing and she doesn't need surgery, but her leg is bothering her again. I assured her Lora will pick me up. 

In Target, I was pleased to run into my old Kimball Park walking pal, Irene, and we had a good talk. Bought a purse, but now I'm not sure if I'll keep it. 

Home and I prepared as much as I could the day before to cook chicken breasts in the slow cooker. The recipe I found makes the best, most tender chicken I've ever had. I mixed the seasonings and put them in a container, then did the same for the roasted cauliflower I'll make today. 

Home and the phone rang about 3:30. It was my nephew, Mike, son o fmy brother, Jim, who died last years in Bangkok. I was delighted to hear from him and we talked for more than an hour. I got some of the lowdown on the rancorous split with his sister and the even worse divide with her husband. Anyway, it was good to talk to him. 

Julie and Lora picked me up at 5:45 and we went to the yacht club for the birthday dinner.  Had a very enjoyable time, although the food was mediocre. I had salmon (clearly from frozen) with some overcooked roasted Brussel sprouts and a beer. When Lora, who had a rather sparse plate of pasta. asked for bread, the server told her it would be an extra seven dollars. The meal, in my estimation, wasn't worth the cost, which was fairly high. However, we had a good time talking, laughing, and noting Lora's 68th birthday. A successful travel agent, she just came back from an extended European trip and she and Julie will be going on a European in a few weeks. 

Got home and realized I had been so busy this week, I had neglected to prepare the program for T.O.P.S. today, which I had volunteered to do. I looked over some printed info and will just wing it, I guess.

Note to myself: I signed up for a free 14 day trial at Ancestry.com, confirmation number 451718021. Free trial expires on June 29; thereafter, will be changed $24.99 per month. Already got some documents on my Dad and also, my grandmother's obit from 1917:


No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...