Monday, June 12, 2023

Sunday At Olivas Adobe

Suzanne and I went off the Olivas Adobe a little after 11:00 to attend the lecture and exhibit of early weddings--dresses, veils, and other trappings. It was enjoyable--interesting to see the traditions and beliefs of yesterday:

Above: This woman is a collector of antique wedding items and she gave an interesting lecture. And the the woman below in the wheelchair...?
She had lent for the exhibit, her wedding dress, in which she was married in 1945. Incidentally, a commenter from channel 3 was there and interviewed her. I'll see if I can find it later.
This woman is a direct descendent of the Olivas who built the adobe, once a rather large ranch. She was very vivacious and I enjoyed talking to her.
The adobe is graced with a large and beautiful rose garden and here I am with it.

From there, Suzanne and I went to a modest Mexican restaurant and I had what they called a California burrito. It was enormous and about the best burrito I ever tasted. After that, she dropped me off on Palma Street for the auditions.

It was great seeing my old chums in Fractured Actors and lots of warm hugs were exchanged. I had time to chat with Brian, Amy, Martha, and lots of others. I was especially pleased to see Erica who I think is, hands down, the best actor in the area. Shannon came out after a time and gave me pages from two scripts. I didn't even have time to read (in the usual sense of the word) them before I was asked to "read" that is, speak as the character. One was "the coroner," in what I assume is a dark comedy because  a corpse talks, too. The other was as "Honey"--I'm not even sure if that play is drama or  comedy. Anyway, I don't have a clue as to how my performances were received by Shannon and Jeff and, strangely, I don't really care. If I don't make either one, I'll see if I can contribute in any other way. It was enough to be with my tribe again.

Home, I got unpleasant news from niece Carolyn. Mike Byrne, my late brother, Jim's son, had called her. He said my sister-in-law, Therese, who's 91, had had a massive stroke. He asked her to let the rest of the family know. I texted two of my children, emailed one, and called Ellen. Mike told me in a return text that he was in Thailand, where Terese and daughter, Crissy, still live. He said he had to go to one of the "lower provinces," but would try to get in touch with Chrissy and possibly, get to Bangkok to see her, as he did a few months ago.

No comments:

Wednesday

Well, things are looking up. I made a decision about the 29 1/2 show on the eighteent and: no, I'm not going to participate. I emailed d...