Saturday, June 24, 2023

Friday And Flying Around Town

T.O.P.S.: Stayed the same (127.6) at home and gained 1.7 to 130.4.  No, I don't understand, but I've been going out a lot, so...

There were seven of us; Julie didn't go and Lora's in Vegas. Bobbi read the minutes, which Lora had taken. I finally got up the courage to mention that the format for minutes isn't "Mary said this, then Sally said this, then Fran said that..."--AAGH! Much as I like Lora, I want to let her in on modify to something like "Martha presented a paper on low-calorie, high-energy foods and a discussion followed." You can add one or two appropriate points, but good grief, you don't record each casual remark. Plus, nobody, but nobody, will ever look at these again, so stop already!

Apropos of snoozefest meetings, Bev brought in an article from this month's T.O.P.S. magazine on maintaining the joy of life. (Members get that magazine, so why--?)  It was a rehash of the two-bit, grammar school psychology that seems to abound in present-day culture. It included the inane adage "becoming joyful is a choice," the kind of thing that makes me want to kill. That states--and not very subtly--that if you're not happy as a hippo, it's your fault. Clearly, it relates to the "fat-shaming" thing that links overweight with a moral failing. (I'm just a curmudgeon, I guess.)

Sharon was anxious to show off her new sneakers and I had to take a picture of them--they actually have bones on them. Her outfit was meant to be patriotic, with her hair the white part:                                                                               Home, I had breakfast late, as always on Fridays, then dusted and mopped the hard floors, washed the bathroom rugs, did a color wash, called Ellen, who has a bad cold, and otherwise stuck to my joyful life. 

The Access Van picked me up at 4:00, Diane already in tow,  and off we went to the Ventura Museum for the 150th anniversary of Ventura County. We were early, so browsed some of the Main Street Shops. At The Coalition, I met up with Owen and was pleased to hear his wife had auditioned at Fractured Actors and would also be in the show in August. I'll meet her tomorrow at our first run-through.

We then walked back to the museum, which was crowded, but Diane and I stayed mostly in the atrium. We each got a glass of wine and I had some nibbles, but we didn't go into the exhibits; I can do that anytime. 

After an hour or so, we decided to leave and Diane suggested we go over to Von's nearby (not the one near me), as she wanted to buy some of the boxed wine she likes. We did, I asked the Starbucks person for two glasses, and we sat in the laundromat nearby drinking the wine, and continuing our chats. The Access Van came about 7:30, and we were taken home.That sounds like a rather bizarre outing, but I couldn't have enjoyed it more. Said goodbye to Diane (we'll be having lunch together next week) and stopped in at Vickie's on my home. I stayed for just fifteen or so and we had a good talk.

I no sooner got in the door at 8:00 when Jim called. He said he was concerned because I usually call him at 7:00 or so on Friday evening. I was touched that he wanted Ellen's number "in case something happens" and invited him for lunch tomorrow, Sunday, not our usual Saturday. Today, I want to concentrate on the script I received from Jeff and see what my miniscule part entails. I'll ask him to drop me at the transit center after, as our first read-through is at 5:00.

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...