Thursday, May 18, 2023

Wednesday

I spent the morning fighting with the new printer. I don't want to go into details, but it had to do with the WI-FI thing. I called Yandoo and was told that, since I got the modem myself from Motorola, they couldn't fix it. The printer itself keeps telling me on the tiny, hard-to-read screen that there's an easy WL setup, but it sure as hell isn't easy to me. Regardless, I foolishly printed out 17 pages of this:


 
(I still don't know how to put pictures side by side.)
This was, and still is, a center for Protestant missionaries across from St. James. As I kid, I always thought it strange and mysterious, wondering what the purpose was for the building. Somebody on the Ventnor Facebook page put the whole brochure on and, impulsive as ever, I started printing it out. After the got most of it, I got a message from said printer that the ink and toner are running low--AAGH! However, it seems to be sporadically okay, and I'll deal with it later.

Showered and dressed, then left for town about 2:00. It was good to be there without my cart and I stopped into The Coalition (thrift store) to look at loose leaf binders. Happily, used ones were only sixty-nine cents and I plan to go back today to buy enough for each of my students to have one for her script.

I enjoyed strolling around town, although a little too cool and breezy for my taste. Got to Casa Bella at 4:00 for Happy Hour and had a good time. There were about 19 or 20 of us and I was bracketed by two Joans--Holland and Smyth--whom I like. The latter went into her life and family (husband, one daughter, at Colorado State, hubby has a doctorate in some kind of science field, Joan was a pharmaceutical rep); yes, she talked a lot, but I enjoyed it. Other Joan is divorced, no children because she didn't want children, and her maiden name is Smith--these people are trying to drive me crazy!

It was fun, though, and the food was yum. I had shrimp scampi pasta and a Topa Topa (beer), which, of course, was dinner; in fact, I took half home. Sat across from Diane and after, we lingered outside (Casa Bella has tables with pristine white tablecloths and fancy chairs out front) to chat. Made a date for lunch tomorrow at our usual outdoor place. 

Home at 7:15 and found a voice mail from Ellen, saying she had called on her way home from work just to chat. I didn't hear the phone and have no idea why not. Texted back and forth and she said she and Greg had gone out to dinner and were taking a walk, so she'll call me today.

I was charmed to get a "late happy mothers day" text from darling granddaughter Vivian, along with a cartoon pic of a girl. Sent her back a loving message. 

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...