Friday, December 22, 2023

Thursday--A Day That Will Live--Well, Who Knows How Long...*

Back in Ventura and what a great time in New Mexico! It's a stunningly beautiful state and driving hundreds of miles through it, travelers see lovely vistas all the way.  Here are a few glimpses:



In addition, we drove through areas with hundreds of hugely high wind turbines:
A very interesting part of the drive was this "searching for aliens" station, way, way out in the desert:
I couldn't get a good picture of the huge structures aimed up at the stratosphere, so I'll add theirs:
Stopped in Buckeye, next to Phoenix, overnight and had an interesting experience. After hours of driving, turned in early, but were awakened at 10:30 by the absolutely deafening fire alarm. Called the desk, but got no answer. Were guests going to be incinerated? No, as it turned out, a police officer came into the hallway (where people from other rooms had also gathered) to tell us it was a malfunction and there  was no fire, but we needed to evacuate while they checked further. Quickly half-dressed and waited for twenty minutes or so outside, where this was the scene:

We were then told we could safely go back to our rooms. Did so and fell soundly asleep for the rest of the night. 

Arrived back in Ventura about 2:00 to experience a phenomenon almost as remarkable as the towering peaks of the southwest: rain, and it had been going on for days.  

*That cryptic quote refers to the fact that as of yesterday, it's been EIGHTY YEARS since I graduated from Holy Spirit High School. I've received a multitude of birthday cards, gifts, and phone calls and other felicitations from loved ones, liked ones, and just happily-acquainted-with ones and I appreciate them all. I was taken out for my birthday to Spring Garden Chinese (my choice) and that was good, too. As for any little philosophical gems, nah, not my style. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eighty …I don’t think so…how about 69 years ago.

Mimi said...

But wait, it's seventy--I was 17 when I graduated.

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...