Thursday, December 28, 2023

Wednesday

Did a load of wash early on, then prepared for my little luncheon today. I was glad Vickie responded in the positive, so it'll be she and Suzanne, Leah's mother, Val (for Valerie? I'll ask), and me. I'll just have sandwiches and a few sides; Val asked what she could bring, so I told her a small salad. Suzanne did the same, and I suggested pickles or something. Think I'll add deviled eggs, so that will be plenty. For dessert, I made y signature ice cream and went over to Von's for heavy cream.  Bought a few more items, but darn, I forgot turkey lunchmeat. Ran into Lorraine while I was there and she asked me to meet for a chat at 2:00, and I did that. We had a nice talk of forty-five minutes or so and I received yet another offer for a birthday lunch. She mentioned Aloha--sounds good. 

Got the turkey breast, came home, and made the ice cream. Looks as if it came out beautifully, but I'll know that for sure in a few hours after it's been in the freezer overnight. Boiled the eggs and straightened up. 

Called Cheryl to learn we don't have T.O.P.S. tomorrow, which is fine by me. Called Stella just to see how she's recovering from her surgery and left a message.   

After dinner, I turned my attention to the chicken thighs I roasted the other day. Had one for dinner and wrapped the others to stow in the freezer. Looked through my placemat and napkin collections (why do I have so many?) and, instead of going with a Christmas theme,* selected pale yellow mats and blue napkins. I'll use the French street scene luncheon plates.  

Aside from all that: Mike and family were at the site of the infamous Donner party cannibalism. However, the first picture (Vivian in foreground) shows them there in 2015; note the commemorative statue in the background. The second picture was taken yesterday, with Violet in about the same spot Vivian was eight years ago. Quite a contrast weather-wise. 

                                         


*Years ago, in one of those vapid women's magazines, I read this: "There's nothing so over as Christmas." Truer than true and now you have to put all the crap away.


No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...