Friday, August 19, 2011

Went to Foodtown in Smithville and picked up tomatoes, salmon, and shrimp with garlic. Made a big salad and had that and the shrimp for lunch. I firmly believe that garlic is a vampire repellent; none came around after I ate the shrimp, which is proof positive.
Asked Mary Ann Van O. if she wanted to see The Wedding Singer with me, and she accepted. She wanted to go last night and I agreed. Called Susan to tell her and she decided not to go. She hasn't felt well lately--has some kind of summer flu or something. I also invited her to accompany Barb H., Pat G., and me on a van tour in October to cranberry farms, both "wet" and "dry." She'll go to that and I collected the checks and registration forms and will take them to Wells Mills Park today.
Got a call from Betty and we decided I'd stay overnight with her on Tuesday. (Anniversary of Pat's death is Monday.)
Was delighted to get a Skype call from Mike and the two precious girls. Paula is in the states (San Diego) to get her drivers' license renewed, as it would take three months to get it in the U.K.
About 3:00, Mary Ann called to say she'd just made a pot of pea soup and would I like to share it with her before the show? Why, sure, so I walked around the corner to her place and we had a nice summer meal of the soup (good, but not as good as mine), salad, and wonderful roasted veggies.
Went to the show after and boy, what a spectacular production. It was about half singing and dancing--mostly young people in the cast, as opposed to our group, which is pretty long in the tooth. Really enjoyed it and will send a congratulatory e-mail to the founder, who's a local girl.
WIDER: A fabulous bit from a commenter at CommonDreams.Org:
Democrats? What democrats? The party of FDR & JFK is dead, but continues to lurch, zombielike, to the right.
WIDER STILL: I have a strong interest in Japan (for obvious reasons to those who read my blog) and here's s thought-provoking essay from Lew Rockwell.Org:
http://lewrockwell.com/shaffer-br/shaffer-br10.1.html
Note: I am NOT a Libertarian and disagree heartily with many of their beliefs, but we concur exactly in attitudes toward aggression.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...