Thursday, September 23, 2010

After the gruelling three-mile walk at the clubhouse, received a message from the dentist that I could come in at 3:00. Damn, I'm getting sick of this 110 mile round trip all the time, but I went. I have yet another appointment tomorrow, then one for next week--will this ever end?
I shouldn't whine and complain so much, though, as it turned out to be enjoyable in a low key kind of way. The "base" or "foundation" seems to be okay and--I hope before I hit my ninetieth birthday--I'll have the bridges. Had an interesting talk with Dr. L. about her daughter's struggle to find a job. She graduated from Boston U. with an English major--a drug on the market, as I well know, being a fellow sufferer--and now is discouraged because she was offered a sales job. This was from an outfit that places students for study abroad. Dr. L. and her daughter seem to believe that, because said daughter studied overseas, she should be a shoo-in for some kind of interesting and highly-paid director level job--or something. Geez, my kid studied abroad, too, and so did a gazillion other college kids. Anyway, I put on my Career Placement hat and gave the doc some ideas. She was very impressed and said she'd pass them on to the daughter who is now contemplating a graduate degree because "she loves Shakespeare," Dr. L. earnestly assures me. Oh, preserve us from these pampered offspring of professionals who never had to work for anything in their lives....
For the first time, I came home the same way I go, so I could stop at the produce place on Route 206. Got some beautiful peaches, spaghetti squash, peppers, cauliflower, and grapes. Shared the latter with the G.'s and the D.'s, as I had to buy a whole basket and oh, they're wonderfully sweet and delicious. (Yes, I was prompted by "...but they were so sweet and delicious...." William Carlos Williams is not one of my favorite poets, but I love his graceful little apology for eating the plums.)

No comments:

Thursday

Up and at 'em after a pretty good sleep. Didn't do a whole lot in the morning besides making my lunch. Left about 10:30 to meet Dian...