Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Got terrible news yesterday. My longtime friend, Marilyn M., had contacted me a few weeks ago and suggested we meet for lunch tomorrow. Marilyn had been with her boyfriend, Sam (Santos) D. for--I think--more than twenty-five years. Why they never married, I don't know, but they were happy together. They came to Pat's and my anniversary party two years ago.
Of course, I agreed enthusiastically about lunch and Marilyn asked me to pick a place near me (she lives in Trenton). I was about to e-mail her back with my choice when I saw another message from her. Opening it, I was stunned to read that she had come home from work on Friday and found Sam dead.
What a sad event and how it points up the precariousness of life. I just read his obituary in The Times of Trenton and saw that Sam was sixty-two, several years older than Marilyn. I was glad to see she was mentioned as his "beloved companion." Sam was a warm, outgoing person who made my friend happy for many years.
So sorry, Sam and so very sorry, Marilyn.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...