Friday, August 21, 2009

Our benighted state requires its citizens to go to Motor Vehicle every four years to renew driver licences in person, so I went to Manahawkin in the morning. I brought my passport, plus a credit card bill (to "prove" I live where I live), and several other forms of identification. The Gestapo agent at the desk was perturbed because my license includes my middle initial and the other documents don't. Incredibly, I believe I was almost denied the renewal for this reason. I was finally able to find a B.J.'s card with the initial on it. What an incredible farce! Of course, any protest against this outrageous invasion of privacy and waste of time is met with the terrorist and/or immigrant argument. Jersey is the pits.
Got the the hospital a bit after 11:00 to find Pat sitting in a chair. We were delighted when his dear niece, Donna E., walked in with a beautiful flower arrangement and the current Sports Illustrated. Had a great visit with her.
The doctor and nurse stopped me in the hall to have the DNR talk, although he has an advance directive on file. Surprising even myself, I started to cry as we discussed what they should do if Pat's heart or breathing stops (keep him comfortable, but no trying to bring him back). I was grateful for their sympathetic manner and glad they had broached the subject, but talk about the pits--.
I left about 2:3o and ran into friends Marge and Fred D. were walking in, Fred there for a test. Went to the mall and bought slacks and a blouse, then back to the hospital. I was pleased when Pat said Marge and Fred had come in to visit him for a few minutes.
Stayed while Pat was eating dinner, then left to get dinner myself. Got a call from A. and E.; A. will be home tomorrow. Was very tired, but woke at 3 am and found it hard to get back to sleep.

No comments:

Tuesday

As has been happening lately, I spent an age dealing with R.E. agent, Kim, and requirements  surrounding the house. I got the quarterly wate...