Thursday, August 13, 2009

Got to the hospital about 11:00. Pat about the same in most areas, but breathing continues to be worse than usual, which is bad enough. Kidney and heart doctors came in. A. was there when I came in and we went downstairs to have lunch together; she leaves for California this morning. Pat is eating little--didn't touch his sandwich for lunch and had only tea and cantaloupe. He is losing weight. I found Bill and Mary in the heart surgery waiting room. Son got through the bypass and is recovering, I was glad to hear.
Left at 3:00, as I needed to stop at the store and run a few other errands. Terrific rainstorm and there was an--I swear--30 minute holdup on the parkway right before my exit. Got home to receive a nice phone call from Frank; he and Barb invited me to dinner. Of course, I accepted, although it's a long way to travel: several yards, as it's right next door. Had a good dinner, with the welcome accompaniment of White Zin. The D.'s also invited me to dinner tomorrow, when they're having the M.'s over AND to see "Evita" by the Our Gang Players on Sunday. I accepted both with pleasure.
I'll go in this morning, but will leave by 1:00, as I told Barb I'd help her out in the Food Pantry this afternoon. Tonight, Frank and I will go to the Manahawkin Elks hall to see the venue for the murder mystery show on the 29th. Of course, it's always understood that any these plans can be cancelled at any time, depending on the situation.
Hmm...there's an enthralling short story by Flannery O'Conner called "A Good Man Is Hard To Find." It's too long and involved to go into here, but at a pivotal point, one of the about-to-murdered characters cries desperately, "We have a sit-u-a-tion here!" (Imagine a southern accent.) I can never hear or read the word without that popping into my head.

No comments:

Thursday

Up and at 'em after a pretty good sleep. Didn't do a whole lot in the morning besides making my lunch. Left about 10:30 to meet Dian...