Saturday, December 27, 2008

We continue to have a good time with Ellen here. Went to Boscov's and bought a new vacuum cleaner yesterday, and I was glad to have her advice. Unfortunately, E. has a cold. After lunch, she took a lap and I didn't wake her until dinnertime. I did get a chance to do a lot of wash. Today, Ellen will drive up to her sister's and be with her and the two little boys. How I wish I could go, but Pat just can't be alone so much of the day.
Susan got back yesterday and we'll resume our walk Will also go to Weight Watchers to assess the damage of the last few riotous (?) weeks.
Got a cam call from the Singapore Four and saw darling V. She went through the surgery well and seemed pretty good, just a bit cranky, which isn't like her, but I'm sure she'll get over that.
Tomorrow, I have to take precious number two daughter to the airport--sob!
Later: Now I have some cause for concern: I'm up 2 pounds, bringing me to 130 and 69.6 off. That means I've gained a full 5 pounds since my low of 125. Okay, I'll get back there, I have no doubt, starting right now (actually, I got back on the straight and narrow yesterday).
Wider: Lest any reader think I've gone soft, contemplate this from Anti-War.Com:
"According to the US government's logic, Iraq is now better off than ever before. As for the millions of lives that have been unjustly taken, and the millions of Iraqis on the run, their plight is a worthy price for freedom and democracy, precious US commodities that apparently come at a heavy price. Americans and the sanctioned Iraqi government are never to blame for any wrongdoing. Iraq's tragedy is always someone else's fault, but largely the making of elusive terrorists, whose identities and sources of funds change according to whatever Washington's political mood dictates."
This is from a piece on the shoe-throwing journalist and starts by describing the American and Iraqi presidents shaking hands--complacent, self-serving child killers both. Of course, it should be read in its entirety.
Also: John Caruso writes in "A Distant Ocean" about the inhuman embargo of the Gaza Strip by Israel and ends:
"It seems to be the tragic fate of this generation of Israel to teach the world, once more, the bitter lesson of the universality of human evil. This base drive to impose suffering on others -- out of fear, out of greed, out of the lust to dominate -- lives in us all, in every individual, every nation, every people, every tribe, every sect, every clan. It must be resisted at all of these levels -- beginning within, of course. And when it breaks out into the open, we must condemn it forthrightly, call it what it is, no matter what form it takes or who unleashes it."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mimi, it's fellow South Jerseyan Grace Nearing. I'm out by Bay Head and Mantoloking, and you're correct: South Jersey is not the most progressive region of the country. One of the reasons I took up blogging was so I wouldn't feel like such a statistical anomaly. It's worked wonders.

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...