Thursday, December 11, 2008

Ho-hum day. Went to Shop-Rite and Kohl's while Pat was asleep and ran into his friend, John. He was happy to hear Pat had gone to the bay on Tuesday for the first time in two months. John called him later and they had a good chat.
Got sister Betty and the two little girls gifts at Kohl's. MUST wrap and send them today. After lunch, I did something or other, and it must have been thrilling, I can't remember what.
Brother Jim called and we had a nice talk. He said he had put our mother's name in a site called missingmoney.com and had come up with info that the state of NJ owes her something. He applied for it and will let us all know if we're millionaires or not (yeah, sure).
Incidentally, yesterday and today, I didn't get my walk in. Slept late yesterday after getting home at 11:00 and today, Susan and Walter are going to Radio City Music Hall (something I've always wanted to do), and will leave early. This is the first time we've missed our mile and a half in months, but it's raining anyway, we'll resume tomorrow, so no matter.
Wider: Does the following sound contemporary?
"The clever ones, up in the high places know how childish and silly the workers are. They know that if the government dresses them up in khaki and gives them a rifle and starts them off with a brass band and waving banners, they will go forth to fight valiantly for their own enemies. They are taught that brave men die for their country’s honor. What a price to pay for an abstraction – the lives of millions of young men; other millions crippled and blinded for life; existence made hideous for still more millions of human beings; the achievement and inheritance of generations swept away in a moment – and nobody better off for all the misery!"
Helen Keller spoke these words at a Women's Peace Party rally in 1916 (quoted in LewRockwell.com). The more things change...
Here's something else--very important, it seems to me. I admit that after my family, I probably love food best; this by Nicholas Kristoff is a must-read:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/11/opinion/11kristof.html?ref=opinion

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...