Thursday, December 18, 2008

The "Ladies' Luncheon" across the street at Susan's was just superb. Guests were greeted at the door with a tuxedo-clad Walter, who acted as butler, footman, wine steward, and general factotum throughout the day. Immediately, a glass of champagne (yeah!) was pressed on me and I drank that with a few refills while I enjoyed the appetizers (fresh, not frozen, shrimp, vegetable platter, hummus and chips, etc.). Main course(s) were three delectable strattas, entirely homemade, several kinds of salad, and another dish or two--all of them just scrumptious Dessert? Homemade miniature cheesecake and cookies, plus chocolate candies in several forms. Even better: Susan's famous eggnog (in cooperation with Turkey Hill), laced with a generous portion of rum for those who wanted it--and you can bet I did.
Of course, I greatly enjoyed the company, about 20 women, all neighbors and friends. Met a newly-moved-in one whose husband is on dialysis and talked to her about our mutual lives and Wellspouse. Just a terrific day all altogether.
Combined Wider and Narrower Note: An odd and unsettling
incident capped the day. I received a birthday gift from my son, who lives in Asia. Having been told I could open the outer box, as the inner one was in gift paper, I did. I was surprised to find the inner flowered wrapping torn off and stuffed back into the shipping box. I was then amazed and infuriated to see the box had been re-closed with a tape that read: "Opened for U.S. Customs and Border Protection" with the seal of the "Department of Homeland Security."
How dare they? Since when does our mean, sneaking, Big Brother-like government have the authority to open private mail? And from Singapore yet! Do they think this little city state is a threat to our almighty exceptionist country? I'm going to pursue this and find out if one of my rights has been violated.
If I have any rights left, that is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ma'am,

We are monitoring your message and STRONGLY suggest that you do not make a Federal case of this issue of National Security.

You have been warned.

D.O.H.S

(Dept. of Homo Security)

Mimi said...

Just watch me.

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...